Before You Get Started
Did you set up your SyncApps account? If not, start here:
Want the bird's eye view first? Check out some critical differentiations between MC4SF and SyncApps!
- Mailchimp for Salesforce Campaign integration best practices
- How Campaign Response brings back Campaign metrics to Salesforce
- See the flow for integrating Mailchimp for Salesforce
- Getting Started with Campaign Layout Fields in Salesforce
- Pricing Packages
Are you testing out how the Mailchimp Campaign marketing metrics sync back to Salesforce with SyncApps? See the guide here:
- Mailchimp with Salesforce Guide for Group(s) or Tag(s) Segmentation and testing Marketing Metrics Flow
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Salesforce Classic and Lighting edition are both supported.
- SyncApps supports all built-on Salesforce AppExchange Apps.
- Make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
- Create a test List View(s), Campaign(s), or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Set Up where you want your Salesforce records to be synced)
- Scheduling of a Set-Up is available on Free Trial and plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
How to Set Up Your Mailchimp for Salesforce Integration
If you are just setting up the integration, you will enjoy 4 full weeks to test out all your use cases and use all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ records such as Contacts, Leads, and Accounts sync between Salesforce and Mailchimp
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs to and from Mailchimp, which is automatically managed by SyncApps between Salesforce records
- 1 or 1,000,000+ Salesforce Campaigns/List Views/Segments sync for Mailchimp Audience segmentation
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Campaign metrics such as opens, clicks, bounces, and links clicked from Mailchimp back to Salesforce
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set-Up is available on Free Trial and plans (Step 6)
General Pre-Integration Steps
Log into your SyncApps account. This will land you in the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set-Ups and once you’ve selected the Set-Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter a name of your choice for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then for the Sync Type, select Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Step 1: Salesforce Configuration
Here's how to configure your Salesforce account and get it ready for the integration with Mailchimp via SyncApps:
- Select the preferred Authentication Type. If "OAuth2" is selected, just tap the connect button and enter the credentials.
- If the Username and Password option is selected, enter the Salesforce credentials together with your Salesforce security token.
- Enter your Salesforce account credentials, such as your username, password, and security token. Alternatively, you can use the Username and Password as the Authentication type; just make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
- A Salesforce Sandbox is a test account type that can be used in SyncApps. This will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements and want your production records to remain unaltered, enable this option.
- Select the Object Type to use.
- You can only use 1 Object Type per Set Up. For example, if you’ll select Contact as the Object Type, then only these types of records will be synced to/from Constant Contact.
If done in Step 1 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 2: Mailchimp Configuration
- Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to Mailchimp. Enter your Mailchimp credentials here.
- Generate a new API Key, copy, and paste it into Step 2 of the Set Up into the API key box.
- To obtain a Mailchimp API key, please log into Mailchimp, and press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
- Enter the name of your Main Audience Now. A Mailchimp Audience can be selected from the dropdown of available Mailchimp Audiences.
Now, what is the Main List, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
You need to define the Main Audience because Mailchimp needs it to create, update, and remove records using its API.
If you would like to sync to a different Audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to create another Set Up for that use case.
Step 3: Full Sync Add-On
The Full Sync Add-On is applicable to CRM and eCommerce platforms and can be used in our trials and plans. The CRM must have List integration to be able to use Full Sync.
Read more about how the Full Sync Feature can automate your contact management today in our article here.
The Full Sync can be scheduled in Step 3 to Manual, Daily, or Weekly.
It allows you to keep your systems trued up with ease.
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, First Name, Last Name, and Email Opt Out are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up in Step 4.
If you map any Salesforce physical address fields to Mailchimp please review the article below:
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This is one of our most powerful features, which is why it's intensely used by most of our subscribers. Let's say you have thousands of records in NetSuite and you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria. With SyncApps, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main Audience.
Step 6: Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now. Any questions or hit any snags? You can always reach out to our 24/7 Support Team.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
More Options for Your Mailchimp for Salesforce Integration
Want to Use a Campaign or List View to Sync Campaign and List Members to Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- Why do you need this feature? This will help you segment your Salesforce Campaign(s) or List View(s) into Mailchimp and may help if you target specific Mailchimp Audiences.
- A Group or Tag will be created in Mailchimp for each Salesforce Campaign or List View.
- Are you using Person Accounts? SyncApps will know that your Salesforce instance uses Person Accounts so please select this Object Type in Step 1 to sync.
- Not using Salesforce Campaign(s), List Views, but need to segment your Salesforce records in Mailchimp? Use our Filtering and Segmentation Feature in Step 5 of the Set Up
Use Salesforce Checkbox Field(s) for Mailchimp Group Segmentation
- You can create each of your Groups (checkboxes on your Mailchimp form) also as checkboxes on the Lead or Contact record in Salesforce, then set up in your Set-Up to match them in Step 1.
- Each Checkbox field must be named verbatim and spelled correctly to match existing Groups in Mailchimp.
Want to upgrade? It takes less than a minute! Check out our pricing options here.
Please see the following CRM Checkbox Fields Guide for Mailchimp Groups for more details.
Want to Track Marketing Metrics Such as Opens, Clicks, and Bounces Back to Salesforce from Your Mailchimp Campaign(s)? Select this feature
What exactly is Sync Campaign Response?
- Sync Campaign Responses means that we will bring back unlimited marketing metrics to your CRM from your Marketing Automation solution. You can even sync only records with opens or clicks activity to allow lead nurturing in CRM as well as what they clicked on in your drip marketing campaigns. Email Marketing Campaigns are synced back to CRM every time a sync runs or every 24 hours based on your sync schedule settings.
- Need to enable the feature of Campaign Response sync for Person Accounts? Check out this article: Set up Campaign Responses for Salesforce Accounts used as Person Accounts
For more options, tap "More Options." If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips.
More Options in Your Mailchimp for Salesforce Integration
Salesforce to Mailchimp Data Flows
Don't Want to Sync Contact, Leads, or Accounts to Your Mailchimp Audience? Select This Feature
- If you want to sync only the new records or existing records from Mailchimp, enable this option: One-way sync. No records will be synced from Salesforce.
Want to Create a New Record If an Email Address Is Updated in Salesforce Instead of just Updating the Email Record in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
By default, SyncApps updates Mailchimp when you edit any Salesforce record’s email and does not create a new record in Mailchimp, thus preserving all the email marketing history on the Mailchimp side.
However, this feature can change all that.
- If the use case below happens a lot on your team, then you could benefit from using this feature that always creates a new record in Mailchimp instead of editing the existing email record.
- A Salesforce record is entered and then synced to Mailchimp.
- On the next email, it hard bounces, and Mailchimp writes back to your custom “hard bounce” field in Salesforce, as TRUE.
- A Salesforce user sees this and notices that it likely bounced because of a typo in the email address. The user simply fixes it in Salesforce.
- The Sync seems to correct the email address in Mailchimp – but no new record is created, and it simply uses the same record. And because this record is CLEANED (hard bounced in Mailchimp), the corrected email address can never be mailed to.
- Now we have a cleaned record displaying a perfectly valid email address.
Want to Unsubscribe Contacts, Leads, or Accounts from Your Mailchimp Main Audience If a Record Unsubscribes/Opts Out in Salesforce? Select This Feature
- If this option is enabled, SyncApps will unsubscribe Contacts or Leads from Mailchimp Main Audience that are flagged as opted-out in Salesforce.
- If the Contact or Lead Email Opt Out (HasOptedOutOfEmail) checkbox is checked in Salesforce then the email address will be unsubscribed from your Mailchimp Audience.
- If this option is not checked, then opted-out Contacts, Leads, or Accounts in Salesforce are simply ignored (opt-out is not synced to Mailchimp). So what happens is that the record in Salesforce is already unsubscribed/opted out but in Mailchimp, it’s still subscribed/opted-in yet will not be updated anymore every time the sync runs.
Need to Remove the Contact, Lead, or Account Record(s) from Your Mailchimp Main Audience If the Record(s) Is Deleted in Salesforce? Select This Feature
- If a Contact, Lead, or Account is deleted in Salesforce, SyncApps will remove the email address from your Mailchimp Main Group.
- Need to remove the record on a matching Audience when using Salesforce Campaign(s), List Views? Grab our Full Sync Add-On now!
Delete Records with a Blank Email Address in Mailchimp
- If this option is checked, when a Lead or Contact that has been previously synced is updated with a blank email address, the Contact will be removed in Mailchimp.
Need to Store Other Email Address Fields in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- By default, SyncApps will still use the standard email address field for records creation and updates. If you want to still sync the other email address fields like work email, personal email, and other email address fields outside the standard email address field, please enable this feature and then map the email address fields in Step 4 of the Set Up.
Are You Using the Namespace Prefix in Your Salesforce Account?
- Please input your 1 to 15 character namespace prefix.
Check Personal, Work, and Alternate Email for New Records Creation from Mailchimp
- When new records are created from your specified Main Audience, we'll check the native Email Address or Preferred email field in Salesforce first if the email address already exists. After that, we then check the non-preferred if that email address already exists, if so, then we will just not marry or connect the record.
- If you use Salesforce NPSP, please enable this feature especially for records creation to prevent duplicates to be created.
- Any opt-outs from Mailchimp will flow only back to the Preferred email address in Salesforce.
Create Organization Affiliation Only for New Records Creation from Mailchimp
- When enabled, SyncApps will create an Organization Affiliation based on the Company name from Mailchimp.
- This will create a Household Account with the Company from Mailchimp as affiliation only. This is only applicable for Salesforce NPSP.
Mailchimp to Salesforce Data Flows
Which Type of Record Would You Like to Create in Salesforce for New Records?
- Please select which Salesforce Object Type to be created when there is a new subscriber in Mailchimp.
- If no Object Type is selected, then SyncApps will use the above Object Type (Object Type to Sync).
- On Lead creation, SyncApps will set the "Company" to "Individual" by default in Salesforce. Since SyncApps does not set the Company name from Mailchimp unless this field is mapped in Step 4 thus uses the Salesforce default ("Individual") when creating new Leads.
Create a New Contact or Lead in Salesforce Even If a Matching Email Record Exists for Either
- Enabling this will allow SyncApps to search for duplicates on the same object type only as of the "New Subscriber Object Type" and create a record.
- Example: If a record already exists as a Contact and you select Lead as the new subscriber object type, SyncApps will ignore the duplicate and will create a new Lead.
Do Not Create a New Account If Contact's Company Name Cannot Be Found in Salesforce
- By default, SyncApps will create a new Account if the company name does not exist in Salesforce.
Use "Unknown" as the Last Name If Blank, Use "Unknown" as the First Name If Blank
- If syncing new Contacts / Leads from Mailchimp and the First name is blank, Salesforce will automatically reject the record to be created if you require the First Name field is a required field.
- By default, the last name is a required field in Salesforce. So, if this field is blank, then the record will not be synced and also throw an error. To avoid this, just enable either of these options that match your Salesforce record creation rules.
If done in Step 1 of the Set-Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Campaign Response Sync Selection (aka Marketing Metrics)
- Each Mailchimp Campaign syncs back to a Salesforce Campaign, Activity, Note, or even just metrics for each record sent to the Campaign from Mailchimp.
- By default, SyncApps will only retrieve Campaign Responses until 30 days after the Campaign is sent. Need to retrieve Campaign Responses past the 30-day limit for Campaign Responses retrieval? Upgrade to our Enterprise Plan for this feature.
For more options, tap "More Options." If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips.
Need to use Multiple Group Categories on a Mailchimp Audience? Select This Feature
- A List View or Campaign must be selected in Step 1 under "Sync Campaigns or List Members to Mailchimp Groups" in order to be used in this setting for this feature.
- To change which Group Category a List View or Campaign should map to, please check the checkbox after the Mailchimp Group Category name.
- Next, enter the Mailchimp Group Category you want to use to sync from the List View or Campaign.
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from Salesforce List Views or Campaigns.
"Use Groups" Under the Segmentation Method
- This field is optional. For the Salesforce Campaigns or List Views, each is synced to a Mailchimp Group, and new subscribers from Mailchimp will be synced to each Campaign or List Views of the same name as the Mailchimp Group name.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group Category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the category of the Group by putting in a different Group Category.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form, create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group Category in this field.
If you rename the "My Groups" Group Category without updating the steps mentioned above then SyncApps will recreate "My Groups" Group Category and sync to it.
“Use Tags” Under the Segmentation Method
- Check out this article for more information about adding and removing Mailchimp Tags automatically in your configuration.
“Use GDPR” Under the Segmentation Method
- This allows the possibility to map any checkbox field on your Salesforce records to GDPR fields (by default, each checkbox name will need to match the GDPR field 100% or it will not sync over to Mailchimp GDPR fields).
- List Views, and Campaigns will also work to map to the GDPR Fields in Mailchimp.
Want to Remove Records from Your Mailchimp Audience When They No Longer Meet the Segmentation Criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select This Feature
- If you use the Add-On for Full Sync, then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
Don't Want to Sync Unsubscribed Status to Salesforce When They Unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Salesforce for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Need to Add Back Archived but not Unsubscribed or Deleted Records to Your Mailchimp Audience? Try This Feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want Archived records to be added back to the Audience and Unarchive the records in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
- Please note that SyncApps will not update the Opt-out field in Salesforce for the records which are Unsubscribed and Archived in Mailchimp.
- When getting Unsubscribe records from Mailchimp, the Mailchimp API does not return the Archived records, only those that are Unsubscribed but not Archived nor Deleted.
- Also, SyncApps can't resubscribe "Unsubscribed/Cleaned Archived" records. The API will return an error that the record is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.
Need to Update Salesforce When Subscribers Update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- This will use mapping configuration to update data from the Mailchimp Update Profile Form. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly in Step 4 of your Set-Up.
- A webhook will be set up in the specified Mailchimp Audience by SyncApps if this option is enabled.
- Update Salesforce on any new subscription if the email address already exists in CRM.
- If a record resubscribes on your specified Mailchimp Main Audience, it will then recheck to see the Group membership on the Mailchimp side and update any Checkboxes on the record in Salesforce.
Want to Prevent Syncing Mailchimp Subscribers to Salesforce? Select This Feature
Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your Salesforce and in Mailchimp, yet also some records that do not exist yet in Salesforce?
- This feature will not sync any records back to Salesforce from your Main Audience, but only match those that exist between your Salesforce and Mailchimp Main Audience for our internal cache for marketing metrics flow back from Mailchimp.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp" then anytime an existing subscriber in both Salesforce and in Mailchimp changes some data it will flow back to Salesforce.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to Salesforce allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your Salesforce and Mailchimp Main Audience.
If you've done this in Step 2 of the Set-Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Need Some Help with a Human Touch?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to email@example.com | Live Chat & Phone have to be scheduled in advance.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.