Hello there! Are you new to SyncApps or just need to know how to put all the pieces together?
We’re here to help! We’ve crafted this article just for subscribers like you to help you understand how SyncApps works with your Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp with Salesforce integration:
- How Salesforce works with your Marketing Automation
- Mailchimp for Salesforce Campaign integration best practices
- See the flow for integrating Mailchimp for Salesforce
- Getting Started with Campaign Layout Fields in Salesforce
- Pricing Packages
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Salesforce Classic and Lighting edition are both supported.
- Make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
- Create a test list(s), Campaign(s) or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Sync Profile where you want your Salesforce records to be synced)
- Scheduling of a Sync Profile is available on Free Trial and Paid plans. (Step 6)
Let’s get started!
Setting up your Sync Profile
You are now setting up the integration, so we are giving you an EXTRA 2 Weeks Free on us! Enjoy 4 Full Weeks of our real-time, Enterprise plan integration.
- Unlimited Records sync between the software you connect
- Unlimited Opt-Out sync from your Marketing Automation solution
- Unlimited Campaigns/Marketing List/Tags/List Views/Saved Searches sync
- Unlimited Campaigns from your Marketing Automation solution of choice
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Sync Profile is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Logging in to your SyncApps account will land you the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Sync Profiles and Once you’ve selected the Sync Profiles tab, tap the “Create Sync Profile” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Sync Profile as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select Salesforce to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Salesforce CRM
Select the preferred Authentication Type.
If "OAuth2" is selected, just tap the connect button and enter the credentials.
If Username and Password option is selected, enter the Salesforce credentials together with your Salesforce security token.
Enter your Salesforce account credentials such as your username, password, and Security Token. Alternatively, you can use the Username and Password as the Authentication type, just make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
Salesforce Sandbox is a test account type that uses testing records that will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements but want your production records unaltered, enable this option.
Select the Object type to use. You can only use 1 Object type per Sync Profile. For example, if you’ll select Contact as the Object type, then only these types of records will be synced to/from Mailchimp.
Below are more options based on your requirements. Tap the plus (+) icon to view the options.
SYNC FROM SALESFORCE TO MAILCHIMP
Do not sync Contacts, Leads or Accounts from Salesforce to Mailchimp
- If wanting to sync only the new records or existing records from Mailchimp, enable this option; One-way sync. No records will be synced from Salesforce.
Unsubscribe opted-out Contacts, Leads or Accounts in Salesforce from Mailchimp
- If Contact or Lead Email Opt Out (HasOptedOutOfEmail) checkbox is checked in Salesforce, then the email address will be unsubscribed from Mailchimp.
- If this option is not checked, then it will be considered as opted-out Contacts, Leads or Accounts and will be ignored (opt-out is not synced to Mailchimp). What happens here is that the record is opted-out in Salesforce but still opted-in in Mailchimp.
Sync deleted Contacts, Leads or Accounts in Salesforce to Mailchimp
- If a Contact, Lead or Account is deleted, SyncApps will remove the email address from Mailchimp.
Delete converted Leads in Mailchimp
- If this option is checked when a Lead is converted to a Contact, the Lead email address will be removed from Mailchimp by SyncApps.
Sync Salesforce Campaign/List Members to Mailchimp Group
- A Group will be created in Mailchimp for each Salesforce campaign (or Marketing List). If syncing Marketing List instead of Campaign(s), please download the Cazoomi Marketing List package.
Please note that ONLY those in the Marketing List or Campaign that were checked will be synced. If this option is not checked, then all Contacts or Leads will be synced.
If using Force.com licenses, try out the Cazoomi Marketing List as it only requires standard Contact and Lead objects.
Are you a Nonprofit using Salesforce? Try out the Cazoomi Marketing List for adding Person Accounts to your Mailchimp Lists.
SYNC FROM MAILCHIMP TO SALESFORCE
Use "Unknown" as the last name if blank, Use "Unknown" as the first name if blank
- By default, last name and first name are both required fields in Salesforce. So, if these fields are blank, then the record will not be synced yet, providing an error. To avoid this, just enable either of these options.
Sync Campaign Responses
- Enabling this feature will allow you to sync Mailchimp Marketing Metrics back to Salesforce such as opens, clicks, bounce, and links clicked.
First, you will need to set up the Salesforce layout, as explained in this Help Center article: Campaign Layout.
There are different types of Campaign Response Sync Mode too, so set it up based on your requirement.
Step 2: Mailchimp
Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to your software. For some, they’ll need to enter their Mailchimp credentials here.
Or you can generate a new API Key, copy then paste it in the API key box in Step 2 of the Sync Profile.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
After which, enter the name of your Main Audience Now, what is a Master List/Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
A Mailchimp Audience must be created manually first in Mailchimp then the Mailchimp Audience name copied to SyncApps before saving the Sync Profile.
Note: We require to define a Main Audience because Mailchimp needs it in creating, updating, and removing records using its API.
If you would like to sync to a different List in Mailchimp, you'll need to setup another Sync Profile for that use case.
For more options, tap the plus (+) icon. If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips(i).
Do not sync new Contacts from Mailchimp to Salesforce (One-Way sync)
- If you want the records to flow from Salesforce only and will not add new records from Mailchimp, you may check this option; One-way sync.
Do not sync unsubscribed emails status to Salesforce
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Salesforce for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails status to be synced to Salesforce.
Group Title to Use (“Use Groups” under Segmentation method)
- This field is optional. For marketing list sync feature, each Salesforce Marketing List/Campaign is synced to a Mailchimp Group.
- By default, SyncApps will use "My Groups" Group title with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the title of the Group by putting in a different Group title.
- To display Groups in Mailchimp signup form, please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group title in this field.
“Use Tags” under Segmentation method
- See here for more information about using Mailchimp Tags
Update Salesforce if subscribers update their profiles in Mailchimp
- If this option is checked then if subscribers update their profiles in Mailchimp, the updated fields will reflect back to Salesforce record using Webhooks even if the sync is not initiated. This only works for Mailchimp to Salesforce direction, Salesforce to Mailchimp direction will need to run the sync.
Update Salesforce if Mailchimp account admin updates the subscriber profile
- If this option is checked then if Admin updates their profiles in Mailchimp, the updated fields will reflect back to Salesforce record using Webhooks even if the sync is not initiated. This only works for Mailchimp to Salesforce direction, Salesforce to Mailchimp direction will need to run the sync.
Step 3: Sync Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Sync Profile may depend on which Plan and integration you select.
Want to know which Sync Add-On fits your requirement? Give us a shout today!
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, Name, Address, Company name, and Phone are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of our most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Master List.
Step 6: Sync Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now. More questions or hit any snags? You can always reach out to our 24/7 Support team.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Why We Don't Have Instant Phone Support
SyncApps limits instant support to online means due to a few reasons, but mostly that integration issues can range from super easy to off the charts hard to solve. Deciding which type via phone or chat is tricky unless we get some much-needed information upfront as we might have to involve multiple teams to get you the answers you need.
Not very ideal for instant phone support, right?
- Online support and scheduled phone calls help keep SyncApps priced for small businesses, nonprofits, to even large enterprises, and keeps our Engineers busy building and maintaining the best iPaaS features for subscribers just like you.
- Online support also helps our multiple teams, from Engineering to Tier I, II & III Support get the details needed to solve a given integration issue. Depending on the severity of the problem our team will get you to the right resources like our easy to read Help Desk articles, How-To videos, or schedule a call to get your integration questions answered or problems solved so that your organization does not miss a beat integrating your organization’s lifeblood, your data.
- Instant Chat support is evaluated on a case by case basis and can be turned on by our support teams when needed for anyone needing instant answers while in the integration.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.