Before You Get Started
Did you set up your SyncApps account? If not, start here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp for NetSuite integration:
- NetSuite Basic Records Flow
- NetSuite Permissions for SyncApps Integration
- How Marketing Metrics Work with NetSuite
- NetSuite Best Practice
- Best Practice for NetSuite to Mailchimp
- NetSuite Authentication Types for Integration Setup
- Sync eCommerce Data from NetSuite to Mailchimp
- Pricing Details
Here is a 4-minute video on NetSuite eCommerce with Mailchimp Automations
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Make sure that your NetSuite Roles/Permissions and Authentication (Token Based Authentication is suggested) are set.
- Create a test Saved Search, NetSuite Subscription, or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Set Up where you want your NetSuite records to be synced), or you can also use an existing Mailchimp Audience.
- Scheduling of a Set-Up is available on Free Trial and plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
How to Set Up Your Mailchimp for NetSuite Integration
If you are setting up the integration, you will enjoy 4 full weeks to test out all your use cases and use all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Records between Mailchimp and NetSuite
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs or unsubscribes from Mailchimp to NetSuite's Global Subscription Status set to "Soft Opt-Out"
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Saved Searches or NetSuite Subscriptions to Mailchimp Groups, Tags
- Integrate 1 - 1,000,000+ Marketing Metrics from Mailchimp back to NetSuite
- NetSuite eCommerce data synced to Mailchimp for Campaign ROI analysis
- Sync on Demand is included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set-Up is available on Free Trial and plans (Step 6)
General Pre-Integration Steps
Log into your SyncApps account. This will land you in the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set-Ups, and once you’ve selected the Set-Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter a name of your choice for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then for the Sync Type, select NetSuite and Mailchimp.
Step 1: NetSuite Configuration
Enter your NetSuite account credentials using (TBA) Token-Based Authentication; please see the article below on how to do it:
Gather your information, such as your Account ID, Username, Password, and Application ID, if you use the "Username and Password" Authentication type, which we also support.
You can use a NetSuite Sandbox, which is really just a test account that replicates your live NetSuite account. It uses testing records that will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements and want your production records to remain unaltered, enable this option.
What Do You Want to Sync?
- Your options are All Contacts, Specific NetSuite Saved Searches, Specific NetSuite Contact Subscriptions, and Specific NetSuite Customer Subscriptions.
You can only use 1 "Records to Sync" per Set Up. For example, if you select "All Contacts" as the "Records to Sync", then all the Contact type records in NetSuite will be synced to and from Mailchimp.
When doing some testing on how it works, the best way is to create a Contact or Customer Saved Search to limit the number of records that will be syncing to your Mailchimp Audience. At the same time, each Saved Search will be created into Groups or Tags under the "My Groups" Group Category that will be created by SyncApps.
Creating records back to NetSuite:
How do you control the Company or Individual type created back to NetSuite?
By default, if a Lead has both Full Name and Company Name, but the value is different, then SyncApps will create it in NetSuite as a Company.
If the Full Name and Company Name are the same or if the Company name is blank, then it will be created as an Individual.
Full Name not the same as the Company Name = Company
Full Name the same as the Company Name or if the Company Name is blank = Individual
Full Name is blank, and Company Name is not blank = Company
The above can be overridden in Step 1 of the automation if needed.
Sync Email Marketing Data
- If this option is checked, email marketing data (opens, clicks, and links clicked metrics) will be synced to a Custom Record in NetSuite.
- The custom record will be created automatically by SyncApps and capture data for 30 days after a campaign is initiated. If you need more than 30 days of data, then try our Enterprise plans.
- Email Marketing Campaign metrics land on the custom subtab on the NetSuite Customer and/or Contact record. The NetSuite custom subtab name can be changed to meet your needs in NetSuite.
- By default, SyncApps only correlates Contacts or Customers that have been synced before (found in the SyncApps cache). This means we remember the email address. Using this option can be enabled to search in NetSuite if a Contact or Customer is not found in the cache.
If done in Step 1 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 2: Mailchimp Configuration
- Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to Mailchimp. Enter your Mailchimp credentials here.
- Generate a new API Key, copy, then paste it in the API key box in Step 2 of the Set Up.
- To obtain a Mailchimp API key, log into Mailchimp and press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
- Enter the name of your Main Audience
Now, what is the Main Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
Sync Mailchimp Audience can be selected from the dropdown of available Mailchimp Audiences.
If you would like to sync to a different Audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to set up another Set Up for that use case.
If done in Step 2 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
After you have set the configuration in Step 2, hit the next button.
Step 3: Full Sync
(2022 onward plans, all Add-Ons are included in Steps 1 & 2)
The Full Sync is applicable to CRM and eCommerce platforms and can be used in our trials and plans. The CRM must have List integration to be able to use Full Sync.
Read more about how the Full Sync Feature can automate your contact management today in our article here.
The Full Sync can be scheduled to Manual, Daily, or Weekly.
It allows you to keep your systems trued up with ease.
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email Address, Name, Title, Address, Company Name, Phone, and Email Opt Out are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this step. If you have additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This step is one of the most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. For example, if you have thousands of records in NetSuite, then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria; only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main Audience.
SyncApps recommendation: This feature works the same with the NetSuite Saved Search yet it's better to use the Saved Search feature in Step 1 instead, as the Custom Fields available in Step 4 are based on the type of Saved Search used in Step 1. If using the Filtering and Segmentation feature purely, then only the standard fields will be available for mapping in Step 4.
Step 6: Sync Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
More Options for Your Mailchimp for NetSuite Integration
Unsubscribe Opted-Out Customers or Contacts in NetSuite from Mailchimp
- A record is considered to be opted out if its Global Subscription Status is either Soft Opt-Out or Confirmed Opt-Out.
- If this option is not checked, then opted-out Customers or Contacts are ignored (not synced to Mailchimp).
- If this option is checked, then in Mailchimp, every record will be marked as Unsubscribed if it is currently Soft-Opt Out in NetSuite on their Global Subscription Status. Each record will be removed from all Mailchimp lists.
Sync Deleted Contacts or Customers in NetSuite to Mailchimp
- If Customer or Contact is deleted, SyncApps will remove the email address from Mailchimp's Main Audience. This feature will only take effect if “All Contacts” under “Records to Sync” is selected.
New Subscriber Object Type
- Please select what NetSuite object type to create when a new record is created from Mailchimp.
Replace UTF-16 Characters with Blank Space
- Emojis and other special characters with UTF-16 encoding are not supported by the NetSuite API. Enabling this feature will replace those characters with a blank space during sync to avoid errors.
Use Email Address as Entity ID (Name) for New Contact or Customer
- By default, SyncApps will not set the Entity ID and let NetSuite generate the Entity ID.
- This also is dependent on the NetSuite setting as it can be an auto-generated number or First Name + Last Name for Contact Name and Company Name as Customer Name.
- If this option is checked, SyncApps will use an email address instead.
Default Subsidiary (for NetSuite OneWorld Users Only)
- For NetSuite OneWorld users, please enter the default subsidiary name for a new Customer or Contact created by SyncApps; otherwise, Customer or Contact creation will fail.
- In some cases, a subscriber will create a Set-Up for each NetSuite Subsidiary that they want to integrate. To make sure that each Set-Up syncs with its assigned Subsidiary, be sure only to use a NetSuite role with NetSuite Subsidiary access and also create a separate NetSuite role for reaching NetSuite Subsidiaries assigned.
After you have set the configuration in Step 1, hit the next button.
Campaign Response Sync Selection
- Each Mailchimp Campaign syncs back to a NetSuite Note for each record sent from Mailchimp.
- By default, SyncApps will only retrieve Campaign Responses until 30 days after the Campaign is sent. Need to retrieve Campaign Responses past the 30-day limit for Campaign Responses retrieval? Upgrade to the Enterprise Plan
Need to Use Multiple Group Categories on a Mailchimp Audience? Check the Following Box
- A NetSuite Saved Search, Subscription must be selected in Step 1 in order to be used in this setting.
- To change which NetSuite Saved Search Subscription should map to, check the checkbox after the Mailchimp Group Category name.
- Next, enter the Mailchimp Group Category you want to use to sync from the NetSuite Saved Search or Subscription.
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from NetSuite Saved Searches and Subscriptions.
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups into your Mailchimp Audience from your NetSuite Saved Searches and Subscriptions used in Step 1 of your Set-Up.
Group Category to Use
- This field is optional. For the List Sync feature, each NetSuite Saved Search or Subscription is synced to a Mailchimp Group.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group category with a Hidden type (not displayed in the Mailchimp form). You can override the category of the Group by putting it in a different Group category.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form, create new Groups with a checkbox type and specify the Group category in this field.
Want to Remove Records from Your Mailchimp Audience When They No Longer Meet the Segmentation Criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set-Up? Select This Feature
- If you use the Add-On for Full Sync, then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
- Once the record is deleted in Mailchimp via the Full Sync feature or removed in CRM via Remove opted-out Contacts, Leads, or Accounts in NetSuite from Mailchimp, select which deletion method in Mailchimp you would like to use.
- Archive: Once the record is deleted, it will be placed in the Archives, but the activity data will still be in your Campaign Reports in Mailchimp. You can also re-add them later on via the Mailchimp Resubscribe form.
- Permanently Delete: This will Permanently delete the record Mailchimp including the data inside the record. Once deleted, you cannot add them back to that Audience.
Don't Want to Sync Unsubscribed Status to NetSuite When They Unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in NetSuite for unsubscribed emails to Soft Opt-Out. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Need to Add Back Archived But Not Unsubscribed or Deleted Records to Your Mailchimp Audience? Try This Feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want them to be resubscribed and unarchived in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
Need to Update NetSuite When Subscribers Update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select This Feature
- This feature, if selected, will use the mapping configuration in Step 4 of your Set-Up to update records in NetSuite. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly.
- A Mailchimp webhook will be enabled in the Mailchimp Audience named in Step 2 of your Set-Up if this option is enabled.
- Please note that webhooks run independently of your integration when any data is modified on the Mailchimp side. What this means is that one set up in SyncApps anytime, regardless of your Sync Schedule, a Mailchimp subscriber updates their record, it will sync back to NetSuite provided the fields are mapped in Step 4.
Sync eCommerce Data
- This feature is the key to syncing all NetSuite eCommerce data to your Mailchimp individual records purchased from your SuiteCommerce Store.
- Please note that the first sync may take longer than usual due to integrating all NetSuite Sales Orders, Products, and Customers from NetSuite to Mailchimp to analyze eCommerce metrics.
For more information, check out this article: Sync eCommerce Data from NetSuite to Mailchimp
Want to Prevent New Mailchimp Subscribers from Syncing to NetSuite? Select This
- Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your NetSuite and in Mailchimp and also some records that do not exist yet in NetSuite?
- This feature will not sync any records back to NetSuite from your Main Audience, only matching those that exist between your NetSuite and Mailchimp Main Audience.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp", then anytime an existing subscriber in both NetSuite and in Mailchimp changes some data, it will flow back to NetSuite.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to NetSuite, allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your NetSuite and Mailchimp Main Audience.
Tap the Finish button and then Sync Now.
THAT'S IT! YOU HAVE FINISHED SETTING UP YOUR INTEGRATION!
Need Some Help with a Human Touch?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support Team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone have to be scheduled.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.