Hi and thanks for dropping in to peruse our help center! Did you know that Shopify and Mailchimp are some of our subscriber's favorite integrations?
It's one of the #1 integrations today so we’ve crafted this article just for subscribers like you to help you understand how it works integrating Mailchimp for Shopify.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp with Shopify integration:
- eCommerce segmentation using Shopify
- Segment Shopify Customers, even those who abandoned their cart, to different Lists, Groups, or Audiences with your Marketing Automation
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Identify your Shopify Shop URL
- Create a test Customer(s), Shopify Product(s), or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Set Up where you want your Shopify records to be synced)
Let’s Get Started!
Setting up your Set Up or Sync Profile
Setting up your Set Up (integration) is easy! Looking for a Quick Setup Guided Tour?
Enjoy 4 Full Weeks to test out all your use cases using all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ records between Mailchimp and Shopify
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs from your Mailchimp
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Customers and Orders
- Integrate Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Records from your Mailchimp
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Logging in to your SyncApps account will land you the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set Ups and Once you’ve selected the Set Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select Shopify to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Shopify
Enter your Shopify Shop URL then tap the "Connect" button.
There are several Sync Modes available, no Segmentation Strategy is selected then the records under the Sync mode you selected will be synced to your Mailchimp Audience:
- Sync Customers who ordered product(s) previously (Default)
- Sync Customers with Abandoned Cart
- Sync All Customers
Please note that SyncApps uses email addresses as the unique data identifier and record creation. If the record does not exist at the time of sync then it will be created as a new record. If it exists in both systems then both records will just marry. SyncApps does not create a duplicate record.
Unsubscribe opted-out Customers from Mailchimp
- If this option is not checked then opted-out Customers are simply ignored (not synced to Mailchimp).
Once you're done setting up in this Step, please tap "Next".
Step 2: Mailchimp
Mailchimp API key is very important as this will grant access to SyncApps to sync over the records.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
To use SyncApps you must be in a Mailchimp Admin role and above. Please use your username and password for the Admin role or above.
Sync Main Audience
- A Mailchimp Audience must be created manually first in Mailchimp or you can use an existing Audience.
- Using multiple Audiences in Mailchimp to run your business? Just set up another Set Up for that use case with the Mailchimp Audience you’re using.
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from your CRM, Mindbody, or eCommerce software.
- If this option is checked then SyncApps will automatically create and segment your CRM Campaigns to Mailchimp Groups under the specified Main Audience.
Group Category name to Use
- This field is optional.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group Category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the name of the Group Category by putting in a different Group Category name.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group Category name in this field.
- Please see our guide for the Mailchimp Tag option for more information. How to Create & Remove Tags in Mailchimp Automatically
- Please see our guide for the Mailchimp GDPR option for more information. Using Mailchimp for GDPR compliancy to your CRM
Group in Mailchimp will be created for each Segment. If Segmentation Strategy is not enabled then all records will land on your Mailchimp Audience.
Please review the Shopify API for more information on Product Variants.
Need more information about this feature?
This feature is only available on paid plans.
- Product Title
- Variant Title
- Product and Variant Title
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Shopify when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Shopify when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
- If using the Add-On for Full Sync then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
Check out this video on Full Sync Add-On Works:
Need to add back Archived but not Unsubscribed or Deleted records to your Mailchimp Audience? Try this feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want Archived records to be added back to the Audience and Unarchive the records in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
- Please note that SyncApps will not update the Opt-out field in Shopify for the records which are Unsubscribed and Archived in Mailchimp.
- When getting Unsubscribe records from Mailchimp, the Mailchimp API does not return the Archived records.
- Only those that are Unsubscribed but not Archived nor Deleted.
- Also, SyncApps can't resubscribe "Unsubscribed/Cleaned Archived" records. The API will return an error that the record is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.
Want to prevent new Mailchimp Subscribers from syncing to Shopify? Select this feature
- Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your Shopify and in Mailchimp yet also some records that do not exist yet in Shopify?
- This feature will not sync any records back to Shopify from your Main Audience yet only match those that exist between your Shopify and Mailchimp Main Audience.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp" then anytime an existing subscriber in both Shopify and in Mailchimp changes some data it will flow back to Shopify.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to Shopify allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your Shopify and Mailchimp Main Audience.
If done in Step 2 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 3: Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Set Up may depend on which Plan and integration you select.
Want to know which Sync Add-On fits your requirement? Give us a shout today!
Check out this video on How Add-Ons Works:
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, Name, Address, Company name, and Phone are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Check out this video on How Field Mapping Works:
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of our most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main List.
Check out this video on How Filtering and Segmentation Works:
Step 6: Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Check out this video on How Scheduling Works:
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.
Check out our subscriber's story here on how SyncApps helped them save hundreds of hours per year!