Hi and thanks for dropping in to peruse our help center! Did you know that Shopify to Mailchimp is one of our subscriber's favorite integration?
It's one of the #1 integrations today so we’ve crafted this article just for subscribers like you to help you understand how it works integrating Mailchimp for Shopify.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp with Shopify integration:
- eCommerce segmentation using Shopify
- Segment Shopify Customers, even those who abandoned their cart, to different Lists, Groups or Audiences with your Marketing Automation
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Identify your Shopify Shop URL
- Create a test Customer(s), Shopify Product(s) or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Sync Profile where you want your Shopify records to be synced)
Let’s get started!
Setting up your Sync Profile
You are now setting up the integration, so we are giving you an EXTRA 2 Weeks Free on us! Enjoy 4 Full Weeks of our real-time, Enterprise plan integration.
- Unlimited Records sync between the software you connect
- Unlimited Opt-Out sync from your Marketing Automation solution
- Unlimited Campaigns/Marketing List/Tags/List Views/Saved Searches sync
- Unlimited Campaigns from your Marketing Automation solution of choice
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Sync Profile is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Once you’ve tapped the Sync Profiles tab, tap the “Create Sync Profile” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Sync Profile as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select Shopify to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Shopify
Enter your Shopify Shop URL then tap the "Connect" button.
There are several Sync Modes available, no Segmentation Strategy is selected then the records under the Sync mode you selected will be synced to your Mailchimp Audience:
- Sync Customers who ordered product(s) previously (Default)
- Sync Customers with Abandoned Cart
- Sync All Customers
Please note that SyncApps uses email address as the unique data identifier and record creation. If the record does not exist at the time of sync then it will be created as a new record. If it exists in both systems then both records will just marry. SyncApps does not create a duplicate record.
Unsubscribe opted-out Customers from Mailchimp
If this option is not checked then opted-out Customers are simply ignored (not synced to Mailchimp).
Group in Mailchimp will be created for each Segment. If Segmentation Strategy is not enabled then all records will land on your Mailchimp List.
Please review API for more information on Product Variants.
Need more information about this feature?
This feature is only available on the paid plan.
- Product Title
- Variant Title
- Product and Variant Title
Once you're done setting up in this Step, please tap "Next".
Step 2: Mailchimp
Mailchimp API key is very important as this will grant access to SyncApps to sync over the records.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
To use SyncApps you must be an Admin role and above. Please use your username and password for the Admin role or above.
Sync Main Audience
A Mailchimp Audience must be created manually first in Mailchimp then the Mailchimp Audience name copied to SyncApps before saving the Sync Profile.
Note: We require to define the Main Audience because Mailchimp needs it in creating, updating, and removing records using its API.
If you would like to sync to a different List in Mailchimp, you'll need to setup another Sync Profile for that use case.
Do not sync new Mailchimp subscribers (One-Way sync)
This will not sync new subscribers back to Shopify.
If using multiple Sync Profiles, which use the same "Master List" or “Main Audience” then out of those Sync Profiles, set all but 1 Sync Profile as One-Way Sync so that it will minimize API Calls.
This also means SyncApps will only sync unsubscribe data thru one Sync Profile which is not a One-Way Sync for efficiency since all the integrations are utilizing one Master List.
Auto creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from Shopify.
Group Title to use
This field is optional.
By default, SyncApps will use "Sync App Groupings" Group title with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the title of the Group by putting in a different Group title.
To display Groups in Mailchimp signup form please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group title in this field.
Do not sync unsubscribed status to Shopify
By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Shopify for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
On a Full Sync remove any records when they no longer meet the criteria in the SyncApps segmentation from the Mailchimp Audience.
If using the Add-On for Full Sync then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
Step 3: Sync Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Sync Profile may depend on which Plan and integration you select.
Want to know which Sync Add-On fits your requirement? Give us a shout today!
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, Name, Address, Company name, and Phone are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of our most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Master List.
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now. More questions or hit any snags? You can always reach out to our 24/7 Support team.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Why We Don't Have Instant Phone Support
SyncApps limits instant support to online means due to a few reasons, but mostly that integration issues can range from super easy to off the charts hard to solve. Deciding which type via phone or chat is tricky unless we get some much-needed information up front as we might have to involve multiple teams to get you the answers you need.
Not very ideal for instant phone support, right?
- Online support and scheduled phone calls help keep SyncApps priced for small businesses, nonprofits, to even large enterprises, and keeps our Engineers busy building and maintaining the best iPaaS features for subscribers just like you.
- Online support also helps our multiple teams, from Engineering to Tier I, II & III Support get the details needed to solve a given integration issue. Depending on the severity of the problem our team will get you to the right resources like our easy to read Help Desk articles, How-To videos, or schedule a call to get your integration questions answered or problems solved so that your organization does not miss a beat integrating your organization’s lifeblood, your data.
- Instant Chat support is evaluated on a case by case basis and can be turned on by our support teams when needed for anyone needing instant answers while in the integration.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.