Before You Get Started
Before starting, let's take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Want the bird's eye view first? Check out some key documentation Mailchimp with Zoho integration:
- Zoho CRM Integration Basics
- Integrating Mailchimp with Zoho CRM
- Email Campaign metrics back to Zoho CRM Campaigns or Campaign Response Fields?
- Do you sync Mailchimp's Cleaned records to a Zoho CRM field?
- Available Pricing Plans for Zoho CRM with Mailchimp
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Zoho CRM OAuth Supported.
- In Zoho CRM, make sure you have created some records for testing purposes so that the production records will be untouched during the Free Trial. Create a Test Campaign or List View. You may use the Filtering and Segmentation feature as an alternative to segment the list under your Mailchimp Audience.
- In Mailchimp, create an Audience as you will specify this in Step 2 of the Set Up; you may also specify the existing ones if you have them.
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on both Free Trial and plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
How to Set Up Your Mailchimp for Zoho CRM Integration
You are now setting up the integration, so enjoy 4 Full Weeks to test out all your use cases using all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ records between Zoho CRM and Mailchimp
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs from your Mailchimp
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Campaigns/Tags/List Views
- Integrate 1 - 1,000,000+ Campaigns from your Mailchimp and Zoho CRM
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on both Free Trial and plans (Step 6)
General Pre-Integration Steps
Log into your SyncApps account. This will land you in the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set-Ups and tap the “Create Set Up” button once you've selected the Set-Ups tab.
Enter a name of your choice for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then for the Sync Type, select
Zoho CRM to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Zoho CRM Configuration
Use the "OAuth2" to connect to Zoho CRM API V2, then tap the "Authorize access to Zoho CRM".
This is a Zoho EU (www.zoho.eu) | Zoho Australia (www.zoho.com.au) | Zoho India (www.zoho.in) account
- If your Zoho CRM account is an EU account, then check this. If not, then leave it unchecked.
Module Type to Sync
- Please select the Module Type to Sync for your needs, and if needing to sync more than 1 Module Type setup, or another Set Up, select the Module Type to Sync required.
- Please note that when the Contact Module is selected, then this opens up the ability to sync Zoho CRM Account fields (Contact's Account).
- We do not support the Account Module because it does not have an email address in CRM, yet if you surface the Account fields you need on the Contact record, you will be able to map each in Field Mapping Step 4.
Zoho CRM Account Time Zone
- To get the account time zone, please log in to your Zoho CRM account using the above username and password and go to Setup > Personal Settings > Account Information. You will see time zone information on the page.
There are several Sync Modes available. You may only select one per Set Up, but you may change it later on if desired:
Sync All Contacts or Leads
- All Contacts or Leads will be synced to your Mailchimp Audience. Let's say you've selected Contacts as the Module Type, and then all Contacts will be synced. The same applies to Leads.
All Active Campaigns
- All Zoho CRM Campaigns that are marked as "Active" will only be the ones that will be synced to Mailchimp. These Active Campaigns will then be created into separate Groups under the specified Mailchimp Audience.
- All Campaigns, which are Active, will be synced to Mailchimp. These Campaigns will then be created into separate Group(s)/Tag(s) under the specified Mailchimp Audience.
Sync Specific Campaigns
- Only the selected Campaigns will be synced to Mailchimp. These Campaigns will then be created into separate Group(s)/Tag(s) under the specified Mailchimp Audience.
Sync Specific List Views
- Specific List Views will only be the ones that will be synced to Mailchimp. These List Views will then be created into separate Group(s)/Tag(s) under the specified Mailchimp Audience.
Want to Integrate Marketing Metrics into Zoho CRM? Select this feature
- To understand which Campaign Response Method to use, please tap the button below for reference: Email Campaign metrics back to Zoho CRM Campaigns
- Mailchimp Autoresponders are supported.
Use CRM checkbox field(s) for Mailchimp Group or Tag segmentation
- You can create each of your Groups (checkboxes on your Mailchimp form) as also checkboxes on the Lead or Contact record in Zoho CRM, then set up in your Set Up to match them in Step 1.
- Each Checkbox field must be named verbatim and spelled correctly to match existing Groups in Mailchimp.
- Please also note that if this option is selected then please disable the Mailchimp Tag Option. This will create conflict if both Checkbox Sync and Mailchimp Tags are enabled during syncing. Please choose Mailchimp Groups instead.
- Please see the following article for more details.
Retrieve Contact/Account Potentials
- The Potentials fields will be available on the mapping configuration if this option is checked.
- This feature may need many API calls if you have a large number of Potential.
- Please note that it may cause an exceeding API limit issue if you have a large number of potentials. For example, larger than 10,000.
If you're done with Step 1 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 2: Mailchimp Configuration
Connect your Mailchimp account through this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log into your software. For some, they’ll need to enter their Mailchimp credentials here.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, and press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
To use SyncApps, you must be in an Admin role and above. Please use your username and password for the Admin role or above.
After entering credentials, choose the name of your Main Audience:
Now, what is the Main Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
During the sync process, a new Audience with the specified name will be matched or created in Mailchimp. You can still use the names of your existing Audience in Mailchimp if there are any. Note that if you are to name the Main Audience the same name as an existing Mailchimp Audience, make sure to match the spelling 100% if you don't want to create a new list in Mailchimp and instead want to marry the new list with an existing one.
When adding new subscribers to any Mailchimp Audience, please note that only those in your "Main Audience" will be synced or selected from the following options; (Sync all active Contacts, not just those in the specified Mailchimp Audience, to sync the specific Mailchimp subscribers to CRM.
Campaign Response Sync Selection
- Each Mailchimp Campaign syncs back to a Zoho Campaign, Activity, Note, or even just metrics only for each record sent to the Campaign from Mailchimp.
- By default, SyncApps will only retrieve Campaign Responses until 30 days after the Campaign is sent. Need to retrieve Campaign Responses past the 30-day limit for Campaign Responses retrieval? Upgrade to our Enterprise Plan.
If you're done with Step 2 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 3: Full Sync Add-On
The Full Sync Add-On applies to CRM and eCommerce platforms and can be used in trials and plans. The CRM must have List integration to be able to use Full Sync.
Read more about how the Full Sync Feature can automate your contact management today in our article here.
The Full Sync can be scheduled in Step 3 to Manual, Daily, or Weekly.
It allows you to keep your systems trued up with ease.
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, Name, Address, Company Name, Phone, and Email Opt Out are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This step is one of the most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. For example, if you have thousands of records in your CRM and you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main Audience.
Step 6: Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
More Options for Your Mailchimp for Zoho CRM Integration
Do you want to unsubscribe existing Mailchimp Contacts or Leads who are marked as Opted Out in Zoho CRM? Select this feature
- If this option is enabled SyncApps will remove Contacts or Leads from the Mailchimp Main Audience named in Step 2 that are flagged as opted-out in Zoho CRM.
- If this option is not checked then opted-out Contacts or Leads will be simply ignored (not synced to Mailchimp).
Sync deleted Contacts or Leads in Zoho CRM to Mailchimp
- If a Contact or Lead is deleted in Zoho CRM, SyncApps will remove the email address from Mailchimp Main.
- Are you using Campaign(s) / List View(s) and want them to be removed from matching List(s) in Mailchimp? Use our Full Sync Add-On feature today!
- How it works
Use Zoho CRM Query API when populating Accounts information
SyncApps will use the standard Records API when populating Accounts information by default if mapped in Step 4 Field Mapping and/or used as a filter in Step 5 Filtering and Segmentation.
COQL uses fewer API calls than the standard Records API. However, COQL has lots of limitations. The following are not supported in COQL:
- Territory fields
- Subform module and subform fields
- Linking modules
- Multi-Select lookup fields
- Line items(Pricing_Details and Product_Details) in Price Books and Quotes modules
- Participants field in the Events module
- File Upload fields
In addition, COQL only allows a maximum of 50 fields. This is not ideal if you have more than 50 fields in your Zoho CRM Accounts module. Please see the following article for more details.
Using Records API will allow SyncApps to retrieve Accounts information without limitations but with a higher API cost.
Execute workflow trigger on new Contact or Lead creation
- More information is available on workflow triggers from Zoho Support.
On Contact or Lead creation, use "Unknown" as the last name if the last name is blank
- If a new record lands in Zoho CRM from your Mailchimp Audience with a blank Last Name, Zoho CRM will reject the record, as the Last Name is a required field in Zoho CRM. If you still want the record to be synced without the Last Name, please enable this option.
Mailchimp for NetSuite Flow
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from Zoho CRM List Views, Campaigns, or Marketing Lists.
“Use Groups” under the Segmentation method
- This field is optional. For the list sync feature, each Zoho CRM Campaign or List View is synced to a Mailchimp Group or Tag depending on your selection, and new subscribers from Mailchimp will be synced to a Zoho CRM Campaign or List View of the same name as Mailchimp Group name.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group Category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the category of the Group by putting it in a different Group Category.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form, please create new Groups with checkbox type and specify the Group Category in this field.
If you rename the "My Groups" Group Category without updating the steps mentioned above, SyncApps will recreate the "My Groups" Group Category and sync to it.
“Use Tags” under the Segmentation method
- See here for more information about using Mailchimp Tags
“Use GDPR” under the Segmentation method
- This allows the possibility to map any checkbox field on your Zoho CRM records to GDPR fields (by default, each checkbox name will need to match the GDPR field 100% or it will not sync over to Mailchimp GDPR fields).
- List Views and Campaigns will also work to map to the GDPR Fields in Mailchimp.
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Zoho CRM when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will set the opted-out status in Zoho CRM for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
- If using the Add-On for Full Sync, then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
Need to add back Archived but not Unsubscribed or Deleted records to your Mailchimp Audience? Try this feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want Archived records to be added back to the Audience and Unarchive the records in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
- Please note that SyncApps will not update the Opt-out field in Zoho CRM for the unsubscribed and archived records in Mailchimp.
- When getting Unsubscribe records from Mailchimp, the Mailchimp API does not return the Archived records.
- Only those that are Unsubscribed but not Archived nor Deleted.
- Also, SyncApps can't resubscribe "Unsubscribed/Cleaned Archived" records. The API will return an error that the record is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.
Need to update Zoho CRM when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- This will use mapping configuration to update data. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly.
- A webhook will be set up in the specified Mailchimp Audience by SyncApps if this option is enabled.
Want to prevent new Mailchimp Subscribers from syncing to Zoho CRM? Select this feature
- Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your Zoho CRM and in Mailchimp yet also some records that do not exist yet in Zoho CRM?
- This feature will not sync any records back to Zoho CRM from your Main Audience yet only match those that exist between your Zoho CRM and Mailchimp Main Audience.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp" then anytime an existing subscriber in both Zoho CRM and in Mailchimp changes some data it will flow back to Zoho CRM.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to Zoho CRM, allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your Zoho CRM and Mailchimp Main Audience.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to email@example.com | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.