Before You Get Started
Did you set up your SyncApps account? If not, start here:
Want the bird's eye-view first? Check out some key documentation of Mailchimp for Bullhorn integration:
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- In Bullhorn, create Contacts, Leads, and Candidates for testing purposes during the Free trial period.
- Create Bullhorn Tearsheet(s) with some Contacts, Leads, or Candidates in it - this will be created as a Group under "My Groups" (a Mailchimp Group Category that is automatically created by SyncApps) on the specified Mailchimp Audience in Step 2 of the Set Up.
- In Mailchimp, create an Audience or use an existing one. This will be used as the Audience that you'll specify in Step 2 of the Set Up.
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
How to Set Up Your Mailchimp for Bullhorn Integration
You are now setting up the integration, so enjoy 4 Full Weeks to test out all your use cases using all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Contact, Leads, and Candidates sync between Mailchimp and Bullhorn
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs from Mailchimp to Bullhorn
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Bullhorn Tearsheets to Mailchimp Groups
- Integrate 1 - 1,000,000+ Campaign metrics such as opens, clicks, bounces sync from Mailchimp to Bullhorn
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
General Pre-Integration Steps
Log into your SyncApps account. This will land you in the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set-Ups and once you’ve selected the Set-Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter a name of your choice for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then for the Sync Type, select
Bullhorn to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Bullhorn Configuration
In Step 1 of the Set Up is the Bullhorn settings. First, you'll need to tap the "Connect" button then enter the credentials of the Bullhorn CRM account that you'll be using.
What do you want to sync?
Select which record type would you like to sync from Bullhorn to Mailchimp, would it be Contacts, Leads, or Candidates. Please note that we only sync 1 Object type per Set Up. If you want to sync another Object type, you'll need to create another Set Up for it.
Want to integrate Bullhorn Tearsheets to Mailchimp Group or Tag? Select this feature
- Each selected Bullhorn Tearsheets will be created as Group or Tag in the specified Main Audience in Step 2 of the Set Up.
- When this feature is enabled, only the Contacts / Leads / Candidates from the selected Bullhorn Tearsheets will be synced to Mailchimp.
- If the checkbox is selected then only Contacts, Leads, or Candidates in Tearsheets will be synced. Each Tearsheet will create a Group(s) under your Mailchimp Audience. For example, when you select "Candidate" as the Object type then we'll only sync over the Candidate records under those selected Tearsheets on this specific Set Up.
Want to sync Opens, Clicks, and Bounces from your Mailchimp Campaigns to Bullhorn? Select this feature
- This feature will allow you to sync marketing metrics such as Opens, Clicks, and Bounces including clicked URLs from your Mailchimp Campaigns to Bullhorn Contact/Lead Note.
If done in Step 1 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 2: Mailchimp Configuration
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
To use SyncApps you must be in an Admin role and above. Please use your username and password for the Admin role or above.
Sync Main Audience
- A Mailchimp Audience must be created manually first in Mailchimp or you can use an existing Audience.
- Using multiple Audiences in Mailchimp to run your business? Just set up another Set Up for that use case with the Mailchimp Audience you’re using.
If done in Step 2 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configuration will be saved.
Step 3: Full Sync Add-On
The Full Sync Add-On is applicable to CRM and eCommerce platforms and can be used in our trials and paid plans. The CRM must have List integration to be able to use Full Sync.
Read more about how the Full Sync Feature can automate your contact management today in our article here.
The Full Sync can be scheduled in Step 3 to Manual, Daily, or Weekly.
It allows you to keep your systems trued up with ease.
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, First Name, and Last Name are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of the most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main List.
Check out this video on How Filtering and Segmentation Works:
Step 6: Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
More Options for Your Mailchimp for Bullhorn Integration
Need to unsubscribe Contacts, Leads, or Candidates in Mailchimp if they unsubscribe in Bullhorn? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will ignore the opted out / unsubscribed records in Bullhorn to be synced Mailchimp.
- If this feature is enabled, once the record in Bullhorn unsubscribes, this will also unsubscribe the record from that Mailchimp Audience.
On Contact or Lead creation, use "Unknown" as the last name if the last name is blank
- By default, when a record in Bullhorn does not have First or Last name, Mailchimp will ignore that record. This feature will sync the records from Bullhorn to Mailchimp even if they do not have the First and Last name fields.
Mailchimp for Bullhorn Flow
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from your CRM, Mindbody, or eCommerce software.
- If this option is checked then SyncApps will automatically create and segment your CRM Campaigns to Mailchimp Groups under the specified Main Audience.
Group Category name to Use
- This field is optional. For the marketing list sync feature, each Bullhorn Tearsheet is synced to a Mailchimp Group Category.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group Category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the name of the Group Category by putting in a different Group Category name.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group Category name in this field.
- Each Bullhorn Tearsheet(s) will be created as Tag(s) under the Specified Audience. How to Create & Remove Tags in Mailchimp Automatically
- Please see our guide for the Mailchimp Tag option for more information. Using Mailchimp for GDPR compliancy to your CRM
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Bullhorn when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Bullhorn for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
- Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
Need to add back Archived but not Unsubscribed or Deleted records to your Mailchimp Audience? Try this feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
If you want Archived records to be added back to the Audience and Unarchive the records in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
- Please note that SyncApps will not update the Opt-out field in Bullhorn for the records which are Unsubscribed and Archived in Mailchimp.
When getting Unsubscribe records from Mailchimp, the Mailchimp API does not return the Archived records.
- Only those that are Unsubscribed but not Archived nor Deleted.
- Also, SyncApps can't resubscribe "Unsubscribed/Cleaned Archived" records. The API will return an error that the record is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.
Need to update Bullhorn when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- This will use mapping configuration to update data. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly.
- A webhook will be set up in the specified Mailchimp Audience by SyncApps if this option is enabled.
Want to prevent new Mailchimp Subscribers from syncing to Bullhorn? Select this feature
- Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your Bullhorn and in Mailchimp yet also some records that do not exist yet in Bullhorn?
- This feature will not sync any records back to Bullhorn from your Main Audience yet only match those that exist between your Bullhorn and Mailchimp Main Audience.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp" then anytime an existing subscriber in both Bullhorn and in Mailchimp changes some data it will flow back to Bullhorn.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to Bullhorn allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your Bullhorn and Mailchimp Main Audience.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.
Be sure to see one customer's story on how SyncApps helped them save 13 days per year of manually importing/exporting data!