In this article, we'll tackle the nomenclature you can expect to encounter while integrating your software through SyncApps.
For example, we use “Subscribers” or "People" over the more common term “users” to make the SyncApps experience more personal when trialing an integration.
We’ve put together some key software terminology that you'll come across as you integrate your software using SyncApps, featuring keywords and their meanings that SyncApps uses. We hope this article helps greatly!
Should any term seem too technical or undefined for you or your team, feel free to reach out to our 24/7 Support Team.
(Applies to all)
- API - In general terms, an Application Programming Interface (API) is a set of defined functions, procedures, and tools allowing the creation of software that access the data or features of computer hardware, database system, operating system, software library, or web-based system.
- API calls - Represent specific operations that client applications can invoke at runtime to perform tasks, e.g., call up data in your organization. Add, update, and delete data.
- Basic Plan - Get your business processes automated, with access for up to 2 team members, near real-time integration, and automate up to 10 Million records.
- Bounced - A marketing metric is used if the email sent is returned to the inbox with an "email not sent" error message or similar.
- Campaign Response - A way to record responses from prospects or clients in Email Marketing Campaigns. It records bounces, clicks, links clicked, and opens.
- Checkbox - SyncApps Add-Ons that are applicable to selected CRMs only.
- Clicked - A marketing metric used if the recipient clicked a particular link sent through email marketing.
- Cloud-Based - It's an internet-based application that can be freely accessed from anywhere. It refers to applications, services, or resources that are hosted in true cloud infrastructure, and delivered in a software-as-a-service nature via the internet from the servers of a cloud computing provider.
- Consumer secret - The client password used to validate with the authentication server, be it from Twitter, Facebook, or any other server, that authenticates the client.
- Contact - One of the account object types used in SyncApps pertains to lists of people with their corresponding contact information.
- Database - It's a collection of digital information organized to be easily accessed and managed. Generally speaking, it's updated by knowledgeable programmers or through an interface by non-programmers.
- Data Breach - A security matter in which confidential or secure information is released intentionally or unintentionally or accessed without authorization.
- Dataloader.io - An internet-based application that works on all major browsers. It helps import, export, and delete records from Salesforce through automation, utilizing daily schedules.
- Drag and Drop - A functionality by which the user can select a section of text or an object and drag it to a different location or onto another virtual object and “drop” it there. It is intended for users to easily copy or move items.
- Encryption - The process of converting information or data into a code, especially to prevent unauthorized access.
- Enterprise Plan - Every feature of our Pro Plan plus more data, unlimited Set Ups and custom integrations. Perfect for small or large teams, consultants and agencies.
- Field Mapping - This allows you to send custom form fields such as email and name, as well as other standard fields that are pre-mapped, over to your integration services.
- Field Expression Mapping - Transform your data from your source of truth, CRM, before syncing it into your Marketing Automation solution. This feature also works with Financial, eCommerce, and other software.
- Filter and Segmentation - A powerful tool where SyncApps users can sync their records from CRM based on the predetermined criteria and vice versa from the other software.
- Firewall Safelist - This usually contains people, networks, or sites that were given access to your computer or you want to access using your computer.
- Full Sync - An Add-On that allows the automation of the re-syncing workflow for Marketing Automation Lists/Tags/Groups to CRM, eCommerce, and other database software.
- GDPR - The General Data Protection Regulation is a ruling in EU law that involves collecting and processing personal data of all individuals within the European Union and the European Economic Area. It addresses data protection, privacy, and control of EU citizens and residents over their personal information.
- Hard Bounce - Permanent bounces of which campaigns will not be able to reach the recipient either due to the email address not existing or is already disabled.
- HTML - Hypertext Markup Language is the major markup language used to display text, images, or other resources through the Web. It is a standardized system for creating web pages.
- Integration - Synchronization of business information, two software, through technology.
- Integration platform as a service (iPaaS) - A cloud service that connects software applications, providing a platform that supports data and process integration projects fit for large business-to-business (B2B) enterprises. The service connects a combination of APIs, cloud-based applications and data sources, and on-premises systems, among others.
- Lead - The account object type used in SyncApps refers to individuals who are interested in your products or services. It may also mean their contact information.
- Main List/Main Audience- A separate combined list of data (Contacts/Leads/Accounts) in your Marketing Automation account from your CRM account. If you have selected multiple Campaigns to be synced from CRM to Marketing Automation, all data or records of your Campaigns will be synced here.
- oAuth - Open Authorization. It is an open authentication granting internet access to services or applications.
- Object Type - A Contact, Lead, Person Account or Account. With SyncApps, you are required to choose one for each Set Up. Only one Object Type will be used per Set Up.
- One-Way Sync - In one-way sync, data are copied only from a primary software (source) to a secondary software (target). Data are not copied back to the primary software.
- On-premise software - A software delivery model solution that is installed and hosted within an organization’s premises, utilizing the organization’s native computing resources and requiring only a licensed copy of the software from a software vendor.
- Opened - A marketing metric used if the recipient opened.
- Opt-outs - In general terms, opt-outs refer to methods by which individuals can avoid receiving unsolicited service or product information, usually associated with email marketing and other direct marketing campaigns. In SyncApps, opt-outs are unsubscribed data or contacts and are already excluded from the sync.
- Plug-in - A piece of software that adds features to an existing software program to give it additional functionality.
- Point and Press - One of the core SyncApps features that enables every subscriber to manage their integration environment with simplicity.
- Professional Plan - Every feature of our Basic Plan plus more data and Set Ups, dedicated customer support, custom features, and real-time automation.
- Real-Time Syncing - Syncs records from software 1 and 2, keeping the two software in sync. All integrations on the SyncApps platform are bidirectional data integration.
- Reset Sync Process - A process where, if you want to re-sync your data at any time and during the next sync process, all your data between your software will sync. Once you have updated any configuration in your Set Up, you must do this step again to apply the new changes in the next sync. This feature can also be used when testing in a trial to run your Full Sync or on any plan to kick off Full Sync.
- Security Token - A requirement depending on the software you have.
- Security Token Service (STS) URL - Issues Dynamics 365 security tokens.
- Segmentation strategy - A helpful strategy if you want to track your customers who ordered specific products from your store. It further divides your target market into subgroups that are easier to manage.
- Sent - A marketing metric used if the recipient is a constituent of the Email Marketing Campaign.
- Soft Bounce - Temporary errors that interrupt the sync process.
- Software - Collections of data or instructions.
- Subscribers - People/organizations who pay for a product or service. Also known as the Client.
- Sync / Integrate - The main product of SyncApps. It is what SyncApps does with your software.
- Sync Modes - A term for the direction of integration. It can be found in specific software integrations, where choosing the source of direction and data flow is needed. An example of this is Email Campaign response Sync Mode, which determines what types of data come back into CRM, like Campaigns, Notes, Activities, etc.
- SyncNotes - Information callouts on how a specific configuration works, what its functions are, or how to use it. Just simply hover over to the SyncNotes tooltip, and the information will then pop out on the right-hand side of your screen.
- Set Up - Refers to the setup of 2 available software where data from one software is synced to another software. We also call it integration.
- Sync Reports /Sync Logs - It is where you can find your Set Up's syncing details.
- Sync Scheduling - A part of setting up a Set Up. Once arranged, SyncApps will do the syncing based on the determined schedule.
- Team Lead - The only member who can control the SyncApps account, add new Team Member(s), and update subscription and billing.
- Team Member(s) - Members who can access, edit, and run the sync.
- Timezone - is one of the most important settings on your SyncApps Profile, so you can be sure that your emails will be delivered on time.
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) - Formerly named Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), TLSs are cryptographic protocols widely used for online transactions and internet communications designed to provide end-to-end communications security over networks.
- Trusted IPs - The IP address of a computer within the corporate network that any client can access from the outside.
- Two-Way Sync - Syncs records from software 1 and 2, keeping the two software in sync. All integrations on the SyncApps platform are bidirectional data integration.
- Unsubscribed - Opted out of an email Campaign.
- Candidate - An Object type that is only available on Bullhorn CRM.
- Checkbox Field Mapping - This lets you sync any CRM Checkbox Fields on your Lead or Contact records to your Marketing Automation List/Group/Segment. This feature is available for Salesforce, Dynamic 365, and Zoho CRM.
- CRM - Customer Relationship Management is an approach to managing the organization’s relationships and interactions with current and potential customers. CRM has higher precedence in SyncApps over other applications as the system of record. CRM utilizes data analysis to improve customer relationships and focuses on driving sales growth and customer retention.
- CRM Campaign(s) - A group of specific Contact/Leads/Accounts in your CRM software that is placed in a 1 List.
- CRM Notes - An open text field that automatically creates time stamps and shows the author of the note.
- CRM Tags - Unique identifiers that can be associated to your CRM records to search, sort, categorize, filter, and segment records in a more efficient way.
- Custom Module - Let you organize and keep track of various aspects that help run your business.
- Custom Records - Automatically created by SyncApps after the Sync is completed.
- Federated Authentication - Supported by SyncApps for Dynamics CRM Online, federated authentication allows members of an organization to use their authentication logins or credentials to access web applications and multiple IT systems.
- Formula fields - In your CRM, it can be used to source value from one object to another. While Pardot can sync with formula fields, a change to a formula field will not trigger a Sync.
- List View - A grouping of records based on a determined set of criteria that displays customer-specific data according to business requirements. It can be used to filter records, change record owners, delete records in bulk, and send mass emails.
- Marketing Lists - Used to sync Accounts (Person Accounts), Contacts, Leads, and Campaign Members to Act-On, Constant Contact, Delivra, ExactTarget, MailChimp, and VerticalResponse using SyncApps.
- Microsoft Dynamics - A branding platform utilized by the Microsoft Company that incorporates both Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software applications.
- Microsoft Flow - This cloud-based software lets users create and automate tasks and workflows across various applications and services without the help of developers.
- NetSuite's Global Subscription Status - A field on contact records that determines whether or not a contact can receive an email sent through NetSuite campaigns and other email merge operations. It can be either Soft Opt-in or a Confirmed Opt-in when performing an integration using SyncApps for NetSuite to other systems.
- One-Way Sync - In a One-Way Sync, data are copied from a primary software (source) to a secondary software (target) in one direction only, and no data are copied back to the primary software.
- Saved Search - A parameter of NetSuite or Bullhorn searches that are recorded into a group based on a set of criteria that meet the given requirements. Saved Searches help you locate the plan you’ve made that wasn’t attained before for future reference.
- SuiteCRM - Specifically for your SugarCRM that is hosted on Sugar On-Demand, it is a free and open-source customer relationship management (CRM) software tool.
- Target lists - Utilized by SugarCRM’s campaigns module as collections of organizations or individuals you want to include or exclude in the campaigns. Each of the campaigns relates to several target lists. These target lists relate to any number and combination of accounts, contacts, leads, targets, and users.
- Tearsheet - Only available for Bullhorn. Tearsheets are utilized to manage and organize lists of users, including the creation of a list of contacts they need to call.
- Token-based authentication (TBA) - A security technique that allows users to generate secure, revocable, non-expiring tokens for integration clients, such as the NetSuite Connector, to use when connecting to NetSuite.
- Web Form - Simplifies the process of sending user information from the website to your CRM system.
- Web Service URL - Helps in configuring or modifying the URL being used to access the report server.
- Zoho CRM Potentials - Also known as Deals, it refers to the number of sales opportunities made from your CRM Contacts. It is essential for any sales organization to generate real business revenue.
- Autoresponder - Created by your email marketing, it is a series of personalized automated emails that answers email sent to it automatically.
- Campaign Response - A way to record responses from prospects or clients in Email Marketing Campaigns. It records bounces, clicks, links clicked, and opens.
- Email List - An Email List is a separate list of data (contacts/leads/accounts) in your Marketing Automation account from your CRM account. This is where your campaigns made in your CRM account will be synced accordingly into your Marketing Automation account (called Audiences now in Mailchimp).
- Email Marketing - This allows the creation of personalized and targeted messages to be sent to a group of people through the use of email. This helps in building relationships with customers.
- Email Marketing Tags - Allow storing of additional information about the contacts to enable sending to an even more targeted group.
- Event Marketing (Event Campaign) - An experiential marketing of a brand, product, or service through promotional events.
- Formula Fields - In your CRM, it can be used to source value from one object to another. While Pardot can sync with formula fields, a change to a formula field will not trigger a Sync.
- Mailchimp Static Segments - A saved segment type that only includes the subscribed contacts who share specific qualities. It is now called tags in Mailchimp.
- Mailchimp Tags - Also known as Static Segment in Mailchimp, this feature helps organize your audience.
- Marketing Automation (ESP Email Service Provider) - Software that provides services for Email Marketing or mailing bulk emails.
- Static Segments - A saved segment type that only includes the subscribed contacts who share specific qualities. It is now called tags in Mailchimp.
- Webhooks - Webhooks allow you to collect information about events as they happen near and in real-time. Once you provide a URL and select the type of information that you want to receive, we’ll send that data to you as the events take place. When you have a SyncApps integration with Email Marketing, Webhooks will then take effect even if you do not run a Sync.
- Custom Records - Automatically created by SyncApps after a Sync is completed.
- Custom Roles - Unique access configurations that contain their own set of permissions for editing or viewing data. These said permissions dictate which tasks can be completed and what pages users can see within the interface of NetSuite.
- NetSuite sandbox - An isolated test account in which you can develop and test customizations without worrying about affecting your production account.
- NetSuite Sandbox 2.0 - An enhanced sandbox account that provides better accessibility and performance. It enables administrators to change the Account ID to identify Sandbox from Production Roles.
- Netsuite Web Services Dynamic Discovery (WS-Discovery) - It determines a multicast discovery protocol to locate services. Once a discovery proxy is available on the network, the protocol can define the multicast suppression behavior to scale many endpoints.
- Saved Search - A parameter of NetSuite searches that records into a group and a set of criteria that meet the requirements. Saved Searches help you locate the plan you’ve made that wasn’t attained before for your future reference.
- Smart List - Let users create targeted lists from the customer information they saved in Xero. This information, including the transaction history and payment status, is then used to chase invoices that were unpaid, identify those who have successfully purchased a product, create sales campaigns, and many more.
- Standard Customer Form - This form should be enabled for the NetSuite role to secure a SyncApps connection. It must remain enabled as it is used by SyncApps to update the software ID fields.
- SuiteCloud - Built to allow business analysts and technical developers to interact with NetSuite, SuiteCloud is an all-inclusive offering of applications, cloud development tools, and infrastructure. It provides a cloud customization and integration environment, enabling customers and software developers to make the most out of the benefits of cloud computing.
- SuiteTalk - A web services integration tool that allows NetSuite to be integrated with legacy systems and third-party applications. SyncApps then uses SuiteTalk (SOAP Web Services) to connect to NetSuite API.
- Abandoned Cart - eCommerce term for a user visiting a page and leaving it without completing the purchase process.
- B2B - Also known as e-biz, business-to-business or B2B is the exchange of information, products, or services between businesses, big or small.
- CPQ (Configure Price Quote) - A sales software used by companies to accurately and quickly generate quotes whenever there are orders. It often works with ERP and CRM software.
- eCommerce - The activity of buying or selling products online or over the Internet.
- RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) - A feature for Zendesk, Freshdesk, and others. The RMA feature for our NetSuite integration can be utilized after your Set Up is created because the RMA feature needs to connect to NetSuite using credentials defined in your Set Up from within Zendesk or Freshdesk.
- Tickets - Used to ask for assistance or support through Zendesk or Freshdesk for NetSuite integrations.
- Newly Modified Records - Records with their timestamp modified in the system, which is recognized by SyncApps. If data is updated, then SyncApps will sync that changed data to your target software.
- Updated - Records that are created and/or updated by SyncApps in both systems. For initial sync, SyncApps will cache the record(s) in both systems so that on subsequent syncs, SyncApps can be able to update these records via the API.
- Error - Record-related errors. The record(s) might be missing a required field to create a record in the connecting software, an invalid email address, or there are other problems with the record(s) that are not synced and created. Most errors can be solved by fixing the record in the software and resyncing.
- Duplicated Email Address - Duplicate records are two or more email addresses of the same exits in your software. Please merge to one to allow SyncApps to integrate into the main record.
- Blank Email Address - SyncApps will reject the records with a blank email address. Please note that SyncApps will use the email address as the unique data identifier for record creation/updates.
- Previously Unsubscribed - Contacts unsubscribed in your Marketing Automation software.
- Previously Bounced - An email address is invalid, so SyncApps will not create or update these records.
- Tags Synced - Mailchimp and others with Tags report that shows per sync report.
- Removed records - Using Full Sync, this report will display how many records are removed from the target software by SyncApps.
- Removed Contacts From Group - Mailchimp statistic when a record is removed from a Group under an Audience in Mailchimp by the CRM's API when the record no longer is in any segmentation being integrated.
- Filtered - Records are filtered out and not synced because they are using the role email address.
- Campaign Response - Marketing Metrics that are brought back into CRM during the automation, like Opens, Clicks, Bounces, and URLs Clicked.
We are constantly updating the terminology page as we add new features related to the API software that we support. If you encounter a term you're curious about in your software integrations, give a shout-out to our 24/7 Support Team today.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.