Integrating Mailchimp and Salesforce will only take a few minutes to create a Set Up however knowing your integration requirements are key.
We’re here to help!
We’ve crafted this article just for subscribers like you to help you understand how SyncApps works with your Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp with Salesforce integration:
- How Salesforce works with your Marketing Automation
- Mailchimp for Salesforce Campaign integration best practices
- How Campaign Response brings back Campaign metrics to Salesforce
- See the flow for integrating Mailchimp for Salesforce
- Getting Started with Campaign Layout Fields in Salesforce
- Pricing Packages
Are you testing out how the Mailchimp Campaign marketing metrics sync back to Salesforce with SyncApps? See the guide here:
- Mailchimp with Salesforce Guide for Group(s) or Tag(s) Segmentation and testing Marketing Metrics Flow
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Salesforce Classic and Lighting edition are both supported.
- SyncApps supports all built-on Salesforce AppExchange Apps.
- Make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
- Create a test List View(s), Campaign(s), or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Set Up where you want your Salesforce records to be synced)
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
Setting up your Integration
Setting up your Set up (integration) is super simple!
See the video below on how to set up Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Setting up your Set Up (integration) is easy!
You are now setting up the integration so enjoy 4 Full Weeks to test out all your use cases using all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ records such as Contacts, Leads, and Accounts sync between Salesforce and Mailchimp
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs to and from Mailchimp which is automatically managed by SyncApps between Salesforce records
- 1 or 1,000,000+ Salesforce Campaigns/List Views/Segments sync for Mailchimp Audience segmentation
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Campaign metrics such as opens, clicks, bounces, links clicked from Mailchimp back to Salesforce
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Logging in to your SyncApps account will land you the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set Up and Once you’ve selected the Set Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Step 1: Salesforce
Select the preferred Authentication Type.
If "OAuth2" is selected, just tap the connect button and enter the credentials then you'll automatically be connected.
If the Username and Password option is selected, enter the Salesforce credentials together with your Salesforce security token.
Enter your Salesforce account credentials such as your username, password, and Security Token. Alternatively, you can use the Username and Password as the Authentication type, just make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
A Salesforce Sandbox is a test account type that uses testing records that will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements but want your production records unaltered, enable this option.
To use the Salesforce Sandbox, enable the checkbox first before Authenticating Salesforce in Step 1.
Select the Object type to use. You can only use 1 Object type per Set up. For example, if you’ll select Contact as the Object type, then only these types of records will be synced to Mailchimp.
You can control how a new record is created in Salesforce in Step 1 via choosing either Contact, Lead or if a Contact has a Company already, create a Lead.
Want to use a Campaign or List View to sync Campaign and List Members to Mailchimp? Select this feature
- Why do you need this feature? This will help you segment your Salesforce Campaign(s) or List View(s) into Mailchimp and may help if you target specific Mailchimp Audiences.
- A Group or Tag will be created in Mailchimp for each Salesforce Campaign or List View.
- Are you using Person Accounts? SyncApps will know that your Salesforce instance uses Person Accounts so please select this Object Type in Step 1 to sync.
- Not using Salesforce Campaign(s), List Views, but need to segment your Salesforce records in Mailchimp? Use our Filtering and Segmentation Feature in Step 5 of the Set Up
Use Salesforce checkbox field(s) for Mailchimp Group segmentation
- You can create each of your Groups (checkboxes on your Mailchimp form) as also checkboxes on the Lead or Contact record in Salesforce then set up in your Set Up to match them in Step 1.
- Each Checkbox field must be named verbatim and spelled correctly to match existing Groups in Mailchimp.
Required additional Add-Ons, if using our Free Plan:
- List Sync
- Field Mapping
Please see the following CRM Checkbox Fields Guide for Mailchimp Groups for more details.
Want to track the Marketing Metrics such as Opens, Clicks, Bounces back to Salesforce from your Mailchimp Campaign(s)? Select this feature
What exactly is Sync Campaign Response?
- Sync Campaign Responses means that we will bring back unlimited marketing metrics to CRM from your Marketing Automation solution. We can even sync only records with opens or clicks activity to allow lead nurturing in CRM as well as what they clicked on in your drip marketing campaigns. Email Marketing Campaigns are synced back to CRM every time a sync runs or 24 hours based on your sync schedule settings.
- Need to enable the feature of Campaign Response sync for Person Accounts?
- Check out this article here: Set up Campaign Responses for Salesforce Accounts used as Person Accounts
For more options, tap "More Options." If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips.
Salesforce to Mailchimp
Don't want to sync Contact, Leads, or Accounts to your Mailchimp Audience? Select this feature
- If wanting to sync only the new records or existing records from Mailchimp, enable this option; One-way sync. No records will be synced from Salesforce.
Want to create a new record if an email address is updated in Salesforce instead of just updating the email record in Mailchimp? Select this feature
By default, SyncApps updates Mailchimp when you edit any Salesforce record’s email and does not create a new record in Mailchimp, thus preserving all the email marketing history on the Mailchimp side.
However, this feature can change all that.
- If this use case below happens a lot on your team then you could benefit from using this feature that always creates a new record in Mailchimp instead of editing the existing email record.
- A Salesforce record is entered and then synced to Mailchimp.
- On the next email, it hard bounces, and Mailchimp writes back to your custom “hard bounce” field in Salesforce, as TRUE.
- A Salesforce user sees this and notices that the likely reason it bounced is because of a typo in the email address. The user simply fixes it in Salesforce.
- The Sync seems to correct the email address in Mailchimp – but no new record is created and it simply uses the same record. And because this record is CLEANED (hard bounced in Mailchimp), the corrected email address can never be mailed to.
- Now we have a situation in Mailchimp where we have a cleaned record displaying a perfectly valid email address.
Sound familiar? Then this option is for you.
Want to unsubscribe Contacts, Leads, or Accounts from your Mailchimp Main Audience if a record unsubscribes/opts out in Salesforce? Select this feature
- If this option is enabled SyncApps will unsubscribe Contacts or Leads from Mailchimp Main Audience that are flagged as opted-out in Salesforce.
- If the Contact or Lead Email Opt Out (HasOptedOutOfEmail) checkbox is checked in Salesforce then the email address will be unsubscribed from Mailchimp Audience.
- If this option is not checked then opted-out Contacts, Leads, or Accounts in Salesforce are simply ignored (opt-out is not synced to Mailchimp). So what happens is that the record in Salesforce is already unsubscribed/opted out but in Mailchimp, it’s still subscribed/opted-in yet will not be updated anymore every time the sync runs.
Need to remove the Contact, Lead, or Account record(s) from your Mailchimp Main Audience if the record(s) is deleted in Salesforce? Select this feature
- If a Contact, Lead, or Account is deleted in Salesforce, SyncApps will remove the email address from your Mailchimp Main Group.
- Need to remove the record on a matching Audience when using Salesforce Campaign(s), List Views, sync feature? Grab our Full Sync Add-On now!
Delete records with a blank email address in Mailchimp
- If this option is checked, when a Lead or Contact that has been previously synced is updated with a blank email address, the Contact will be removed in Mailchimp.
Need to store other email address fields in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will still use the standard email address field for records creation and updates. If wanting to still sync the other email address fields like work email, personal email, and other email address fields outside the standard email address field, please enable this feature then map the email address fields in Step 4 of the Set Up.
Are you using the Namespace prefix in your Salesforce account?
- Please input your one to 15 character namespace prefix.
Check Personal, Work, and Alternate email for new records creation from Mailchimp
- By default, when there are new records created from your specified Main Audience, we'll check the native Email Address or Preferred email field in Salesforce first if the email address already exists. After that, we then check the non-preferred if that email address already exists, if so, then we will just not marry or connect the record.
- If using Salesforce NPSP, please enable this feature especially for records creation to prevent duplicates to be created.
- Any opt-outs from Mailchimp will flow only back to the Preferred email address in Salesforce.
Create Organization Affiliation only for new records creation from Mailchimp
- When enabled, SyncApps will create an Organization Affiliation based on the Company name from Mailchimp.
- This will create a Household Account with the Company from Mailchimp as affiliation only. This is only applicable for Salesforce NPSP.
Mailchimp to Salesforce
Which type of record would you like to create in Salesforce for new records?
- Please select which Salesforce Object Type to be created when there is a new subscriber in Mailchimp.
- If no Object Type is selected then SyncApps will use the above Object Type (Object Type to Sync).
- On Lead creation, SyncApps will set the "Company" to "Individual" by default in Salesforce. Since SyncApps does not set the Company name from Mailchimp unless this field is mapped in Step 4 thus uses the Salesforce default ("Individual") when creating new Leads.
Create a new Contact or Lead in Salesforce even if a matching email a record exists for either
- Enabling this will allow SyncApps to search for duplicates on the same object type only as of the "New Subscriber Object Type" and create a record.
- Example: If a record already exists as a Contact and you select Lead as the new subscriber object type, SyncApps will ignore the duplicate and will create a new Lead.
Do not create a new Account if Contact's company name cannot be found in Salesforce
- By default, SyncApps will create a new Account if the company name does not exist in Salesforce.
Use "Unknown" as the last name if blank, Use "Unknown" as the first name if blank
- If syncing new Contacts / Leads from Mailchimp and the First name is blank, Salesforce will automatically reject the record to be created if you require the First Name field is a required field.
- By default, the last name is a required field in Salesforce. So, if this field is blank, then the record will not be synced and also throw an error. To avoid this, just enable either of these options that match your Salesforce record creation rules.
If done in Step 1 of the Set Up, hit next so that the configurations will be saved.
Step 2: Mailchimp
Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to Mailchimp. Enter your Mailchimp credentials here.
Generate a new API Key, copy then paste it in the API key box in Step 2 of the Set Up.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
After which, enter the name of your Main Audience Now, what is the Main Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
A Mailchimp Audience can be selected from the dropdown of available Mailchimp Audiences.
If you would like to sync to a different Audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to create another "Set Up" for that use case.
Campaign Response Sync Selection (Just means Marketing Metrics in laymen's terms)
- Each Mailchimp Campaign syncs back to a Salesforce Campaign, Activity, Note, or even just metrics only for each record sent the Campaign from Mailchimp.
- By default, SyncApps will only retrieve Campaign Responses until 30 days after the Campaign is sent. Need to retrieve Campaign Responses past the 30 day limit for Campaign Responses retrieval? Upgrade to our Enterprise Plan or you may purchase an Add-On for this feature.
For more options, tap "More Options." If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips.
Need to use Multiple Group Categories on a Mailchimp Audience? Check it here
- A List View or Campaign must be selected in Step 1 under "Sync Campaigns or List Members to Mailchimp Groups" in order to be used in this setting for this feature.
- To change which Group Category a List View or Campaign should map to, please check the checkbox after the Mailchimp Group Category name.
- Next, enter the Mailchimp Group Category you want to use to sync from the List View or Campaign.
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from Salesforce List Views or Campaigns.
“Use Groups” under the Segmentation method
- This field is optional. For the Salesforce Campaigns or List Views, each is synced to a Mailchimp Group, and new subscribers from Mailchimp will be synced to each Campaign or List Views of the same name as Mailchimp Group name.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group Category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the category of the Group by putting in a different Group Category.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group Category in this field.
If you rename the "My Groups" Group Category without updating the steps mentioned above then SyncApps will recreate "My Groups" Group Category and sync to it.
“Use Tags” under the Segmentation method
- See here for more information about adding and removing Mailchimp Tags automatically in your configuration.
“Use GDPR” under the Segmentation method
- This allows the possibility to map any checkbox field on your Salesforce records to GDPR fields (by default, each checkbox name will need to match the GDPR field 100% or it will not sync over to Mailchimp GDPR fields).
- List Views, Campaigns will also work to map to the GDPR Fields in Mailchimp.
Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
- If using the Add-On for Full Sync then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Salesforce when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Salesforce for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Need to add back Archived but not Unsubscribed or Deleted records to your Mailchimp Audience? Try this feature
- By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want Archived records to be added back to the Audience and Unarchive the records in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
- Please note that SyncApps will not update the Opt-out field in Salesforce for the records which are Unsubscribed and Archived in Mailchimp.
- When getting Unsubscribe records from Mailchimp, the Mailchimp API does not return the Archived records.
- Only those that are Unsubscribed but not Archived nor Deleted.
- Also, SyncApps can't resubscribe "Unsubscribed/Cleaned Archived" records. The API will return an error that the record is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.
Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- This will use mapping configuration to update data from the Mailchimp Update Profile Form. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly in Step 4 of your Set Up.
- A webhook will be set up in the specified Mailchimp Audience by SyncApps if this option is enabled.
- Update Salesforce on any new subscription if the email address already exists in CRM.
- If a record resubscribes on your specified Mailchimp Main Audience, it will then recheck to see the Group membership on the Mailchimp side and update any Checkboxes on the record in Salesforce.
Want to prevent syncing Mailchimp Subscribers to Salesforce? Select this feature
- Have a mixed Mailchimp Audience with records that exist in both your Salesforce and in Mailchimp yet also some records that do not exist yet in Salesforce?
- This feature will not sync any records back to Salesforce from your Main Audience yet only match those that exist between your Salesforce and Mailchimp Main Audience for our internal cache for marketing metrics flow back from Mailchimp.
- If you select the feature "Need to update Salesforce when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp" then anytime an existing subscriber in both Salesforce and in Mailchimp changes some data it will flow back to Salesforce.
- New Mailchimp Subscribers will not sync back to Salesforce allowing you to manage only those that exist today between your Salesforce and Mailchimp Main Audience.
Step 3: Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Set Up may depend on which Plan and integration you select. In our Enterprise Plan, you don't need to enable anything here as all these features are included.
Want to know which Sync Add-On fits your requirement? Give us a shout today!
Check out this video on How Add-Ons Works:
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, First Name, and Last Name are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up in Step 4.
If mapping any Salesforce physical address fields to Mailchimp please review the article below:
Check out this video on How Field Mapping Works:
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of the most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main Audience.
This is like using Salesforce reports only inside your integration to automate the process even further.
Check out this video on How Filtering and Segmentation Works:
Step 6: Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
You can also sync back Marketing Metrics every time your schedule runs plus a few other nice features under "More Options".
Check out this video on How Scheduling Works:
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.
Check out our subscriber's story here on how SyncApps helped them save hundreds of hours per year!