Hello there! Are you new to SyncApps or just need to know how to put all the pieces together?
We’re here to help! We’ve crafted this article just for subscribers like you to help you understand how SyncApps works with your Mailchimp for Salesforce.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp with Salesforce integration:
- How Salesforce works with your Marketing Automation
- Mailchimp for Salesforce Campaign integration best practices
- How Campaign Response brings back Campaign metrics to Salesforce
- See the flow for integrating Mailchimp for Salesforce
- Getting Started with Campaign Layout Fields in Salesforce
- Pricing Packages
Are you testing out how the Mailchimp Campaign marketing metrics syncs back to Salesforce with SyncApps? See the guide here:
- Mailchimp with Salesforce Guide for Group(s) or Tag(s) Segmentation and testing Marketing Metrics Flow
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Salesforce Classic and Lighting edition are both supported.
- Make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
- Create a test list(s), Campaign(s), or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Sync Profile where you want your Salesforce records to be synced)
- Scheduling of a Sync Profile is available on Free Trial and Paid plans. (Step 6)
Let’s get started!
Setting up your Sync Profile
You are now setting up the integration, so we are giving you an EXTRA 2 Weeks Free on us! Enjoy 4 Full Weeks of our real-time, Enterprise plan integration.
- Unlimited Contacts, Leads, and Accounts sync between Mailchimp and Salesforce
- Unlimited Opt-Out sync from Mailchimp to Salesforce automatically managed by SyncApps
- Unlimited Campaigns/Marketing List sync to Mailchimp Group(s)/Tag(s)
- Unlimited Campaigns from Mailchimp to Salesforce
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Sync Profile is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Logging in to your SyncApps account will land you the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Sync Profiles and Once you’ve selected the Sync Profiles tab, tap the “Create Sync Profile” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Sync Profile as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select Salesforce to Mailchimp.
Step 1: Salesforce CRM
Select the preferred Authentication Type.
If "OAuth2" is selected, just tap the connect button and enter the credentials then you'll automatically be connected.
If the Username and Password option is selected, enter the Salesforce credentials together with your Salesforce security token.
Enter your Salesforce account credentials such as your username, password, and Security Token. Alternatively, you can use the Username and Password as the Authentication type, just make sure that your Salesforce account is API enabled.
Salesforce Sandbox is a test account type that uses testing records that will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements but want your production records unaltered, enable this option.
Select the Object type to use. You can only use 1 Object type per Sync Profile. For example, if you’ll select Contact as the Object type, then only these types of records will be synced to/from Mailchimp.
Below are more options based on your requirements. Tap the plus (+) icon to view the options.
Want to use a Campaign or Marketing List to sync Campaign and List Members to Mailchimp? Select this feature
- A Group or Tag will be created in Mailchimp for each Salesforce campaign (or Marketing List). If syncing the Marketing List instead of Campaign(s), please download the Cazoomi Marketing List package.
- For selecting if using Group(s)/Tag(s), you may find that feature in Step 2 of the Sync Profile setup under "Segmentation Method".
Please note that ONLY those in the Marketing List or Campaign that were checked will be synced. If this option is not checked, then all Contacts or Leads will be synced.
If using Force.com licenses, try out the Cazoomi Marketing List as it only requires standard Contact and Lead objects.
Are you a Nonprofit using Salesforce? Try out the Cazoomi Marketing List for adding Person Accounts to your Mailchimp Lists.
Want to create a new record if an email address is updated in Salesforce instead of just updating the email record in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- If this use case below happens a lot on your team then you could benefit from using this feature that always creates a new record in Mailchimp instead of editing the existing email record. By default, SyncApps updates Mailchimp when you edit any Salesforce record’s email and does not create a new record in Mailchimp.
- A Salesforce record is entered and then synced to Mailchimp.
- On the next email blast, it hard bounces, and Mailchimp writes back to your custom “hard bounce” field in Salesforce, as TRUE.
- A Salesforce user sees this and notices that the likely reason it bounced is because of a typo in the email address. The user simply fixes it in Salesforce.
- The Sync seems to correct the email address in Mailchimp – but no new record is created and it simply uses the same record. And because this record is CLEANED (hard bounced in Mailchimp), the corrected email address can never be mailed to.
- Now we have a situation in Mailchimp where we have a cleaned record displaying a perfectly valid email address.
Sound familiar? Then this option is for you.
Feature: Create a new record if an email address is updated in Salesforce instead of just update the email record in Mailchimp.
Use Salesforce checkbox field(s) for Mailchimp Group segmentation
- You can create each of your Groups (checkboxes on your Mailchimp form) as also checkboxes on the Lead or Contact record in Salesforce then set up in your Sync Profile to match them in Step 1.
- Each Checkbox field must be named verbatim and spelled correctly to match to existing Groups in Mailchimp.
Note: if this option is selected then please disable the Mailchimp Tag Option. This will create conflict if both Checkbox Sync and Mailchimp Tag are enabled during syncing. Please choose Mailchimp Groups instead.
Please see the following article for more details.
Want to track the Marketing Metrics such as Opens, Clicks, Bounces back to Salesforce from your Mailchimp Campaign(s)? (Campaign Response sync Feature)
- Enabling this feature will allow you to sync Mailchimp Marketing Metrics back to Salesforce such as opens, clicks, bounce, and links clicked.
First, you will need to set up the Salesforce layout, as explained in this Help Center article: Campaign Layout. Before setting up the Campaign Layout, be sure to enable the Campaign Response feature first and click next so that we can be able to create the Campaign Response fields in Salesforce.
There are different types of Campaign Response Sync Mode too, so set it up based on your requirement.
SALESFORCE TO MAILCHIMP
Don't want to sync Contact, Leads, or Accounts to your Mailchimp Audience? Select this feature
- If wanting to sync only the new records or existing records from Mailchimp, enable this option; One-way sync. No records will be synced from Salesforce.
Want to unsubscribe Contacts, Leads, or Accounts from your Mailchimp Main Audience if a record unsubscribes/opts-out in Salesforce? Select this feature
- If Contact or Lead Email Opt Out (HasOptedOutOfEmail) checkbox is checked in Salesforce, then the email address will be unsubscribed from Mailchimp. If this option is not checked, then it will be considered as opted-out Contacts, Leads or Accounts and will be ignored (opt-out is not synced to Mailchimp). What happens here is that the record is opted-out in Salesforce but still opted-in in Mailchimp.
- Records must first be synced as subscribed to Mailchimp, in the future, if you'll unsubscribe them on the Salesforce side then this feature will automatically unsubscribe the record from your Mailchimp Audience.
- Any records that are initially marked as unsubscribed in Salesforce will not be synced to Mailchimp.
Need to remove the Contact, Lead, or Account record(s) from your Mailchimp Main Audience if the record(s) is deleted in Salesforce? Select this feature
- If a Contact, Lead or Account is deleted, SyncApps will remove the email address from Mailchimp.
Are you Converting Leads in Salesforce into Person Accounts / Contact type and want that Lead record to be removed in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- If this option is checked when a Lead is converted to a Contact, the Lead email address will be removed from Mailchimp by SyncApps.
MAILCHIMP TO SALESFORCE
New Subscriber Object Type
- Please select which Salesforce Object Type to be created when there is a new subscriber in Mailchimp. If no Object Type is selected then SyncApps will use the above Object Type (Object Type to Sync). Please note that SyncApps will always search for the email record in Salesforce, both in Leads and Contacts, then only create a Lead or Contact if no email exists in Salesforce for both Leads or Contacts.
- On Lead creation, SyncApps will set the "Company" to "Individual" by default in Salesforce. Since SyncApps does not set the company name from Mailchimp then all Salesforce integrations use the default ("Individual") when creating new Leads.
Create a new Contact or Lead in Salesforce even if a matching email record exists for either
- Enabling this will allow SyncApps to search for duplicates on the same object type only as the "New Subscriber Object Type".
Example: If a record already exists as a Contact and you select Lead as the new subscriber object type, SyncApps will ignore the duplicate and will create a new Lead.
Note: SyncApps uses the email address to check for duplicates. Meaning no 2 records with the same email address and the same object type will be created by SyncApps.
Do not create new Account if Contact's company name cannot be found in Salesforce
- By default, SyncApps will create a new Account if the company name does not exist in Salesforce
Use "Unknown" as the last name if blank, Use "Unknown" as the first name if blank
- By default, last name and first name are both required fields in Salesforce. So, if these fields are blank, then the record will not be synced yet, providing an error. To avoid this, just enable either of these options.
Step 2: Mailchimp
Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to your software. For some, they’ll need to enter their Mailchimp credentials here.
Or you can generate a new API Key, copy then paste it in the API key box in Step 2 of the Sync Profile.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
After which, enter the name of your Main Audience Now, what is a Main List/Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
A Mailchimp Audience must be created manually first in Mailchimp then the Mailchimp Audience name copied to SyncApps before saving the Sync Profile.
Note: We require to define a Main Audience because Mailchimp needs it in creating, updating, and removing records using its API.
If you would like to sync to a different List in Mailchimp, you'll need to setup another Sync Profile for that use case.
Campaign Response Sync Selection
- This feature will show up once the Campaign Response feature is enabled in Step 1 of the Sync Profile.
- If "All Mailchimp Campaigns" is selected then all the Campaigns that were sent from the rolling 30 days will be synced to Salesforce including those newly added ones.
- If "Select Specific Campaigns" is selected then only the specific ones will be synced back to Salesforce. Newly added ones won't be synced to Salesforce not unless if you have selected them as one of the specific Campaigns on this feature.
Need to use Multiple Group Titles on a Mailchimp Audience? Check it here
A CRM List or Campaign must be selected in Step 1 under "Sync Campaign or List Members to Mailchimp Group" in order to be used in this setting.
To change which Group Title a CRM List or Campaign should map to, please check the checkbox after the Mailchimp Group Title name.
Next, enter the Mailchimp Group Title you want to use to sync from the CRM List or Campaign.
Don't want to Sync new Mailchimp Subscribers to Salesforce? Select this feature
- If you want the records to flow from Salesforce only and will not add new records from Mailchimp, you may check this option; One-way sync. If this is not checked, new Mailchimp Subscribers that are added into your Main Audience will also be added to your Salesforce if the email address of the record does not exist at the time of sync.
Group Title to Use (“Use Groups” under Segmentation method)
- This field is optional. For the marketing list sync feature, each Salesforce Marketing List/Campaign is synced to a Mailchimp Group.
- By default, SyncApps will use "My Groups" Group title with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the title of the Group by putting in a different Group title.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form, please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group title in this field.
“Use Tags” under Segmentation method
- See here for more information about using Mailchimp Tags
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to Salesforce when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in Salesforce for unsubscribed emails. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed email status to be synced to Salesforce.
Update Salesforce if subscribers update their profiles in Mailchimp
- If this option is checked then if subscribers update their profiles in Mailchimp, the updated fields will reflect back to Salesforce record using Webhooks even if the sync is not initiated. This only works for Mailchimp to Salesforce direction, Salesforce to Mailchimp direction will need to run the sync. Understanding how Webhooks interact with Mailchimp integrations
Update Salesforce if Mailchimp account admin updates the subscriber profile
- If this option is checked then if Admin updates their profiles in Mailchimp, the updated fields will reflect back to Salesforce record using Webhooks even if the sync is not initiated. This only works for Mailchimp to Salesforce direction, Salesforce to Mailchimp direction will need to run the sync.
Resubscribe Archived Records
By default, when a Contact or Lead that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp. If you want them to be resubscribed and unarchive them in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
Note: This will only work for records that are synced(cached) by SyncApps. Meaning, if they are marked as archive prior to the sync and SyncApps hasn’t initially synced(cached) the records to Mailchimp, those will not be updated.
Step 3: Sync Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Sync Profile may depend on which Plan and integration you select. In our Free Plan, you don't need to enable anything here as all these features are included.
Want to know which Sync Add-On fits your requirement? Give us a shout today!
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email address, First Name, and Last Name are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this Step. Otherwise, if you have more additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This Step is one of our most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. Like for example, you have 1000’s of records in your CRM then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main List.
Step 6: Sync Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now. More questions or hit any snags? You can always reach out to our 24/7 Support team.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.