Hello there! Setting up NetSuite and Mailchimp is super simple to do once all the requirements are known.
We’re here to help! We’ve crafted this article just for you to help you understand how SyncApps works when integrating Mailchimp with NetSuite.
Before starting, take a look at our basic integration setup, as explained here:
Check out some key documentation for Mailchimp for NetSuite integration:
- NetSuite Basic Records Flow
- NetSuite Permissions for SyncApps Integration
- How Marketing Metrics Work with NetSuite
- NetSuite Best Practice
- Best Practice for NetSuite to Mailchimp
- NetSuite Authentication Types for Integration Setup
- Sync eCommerce Data from NetSuite to Mailchimp
- Pricing Details
Before setting up the integration, here are some important integration points:
- Make sure that your NetSuite Roles/Permissions and Authentication (Token Based Authentication is suggested) are set.
- Create a test Saved Search, NetSuite Subscription, or records for testing purposes.
- Create a test Audience in Mailchimp (this test Audience will be specified in Step 2 of the Set Up where you want your NetSuite records to be synced) or you can also use an existing Mailchimp Audience.
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans. (Step 6)
Let’s Get Started!
Setting up your Integration
Setting up your Set Up (integration) is super simple!
See the video below on how to set up Mailchimp for NetSuite.
Setting up your Set Up (integration) is easy! Looking for a Quick Setup Guided Tour?
You are now setting up the integration, so we are giving you an EXTRA 2 Weeks Free on us!
Enjoy 4 Full Weeks to test out all your use cases using all our features and integration capabilities.
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Records between Mailchimp and NetSuite
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Opt-Outs or unsubscribes from Mailchimp to NetSuite's Global Subscription Status set to "Soft Opt-Out"
- Sync 1 - 1,000,000+ Saved Searches or NetSuite Subscriptions to Mailchimp Groups, Tags
- Integrate 1 - 1,000,000+ Marketing Metrics from Mailchimp back to NetSuite
- NetSuite eCommerce data synced to Mailchimp for Campaign ROI analysis
- Sync on Demand included for easy testing of your integration scenarios
- Scheduling of a Set Up is available on Free Trial and Paid plans (Step 6)
Logging in to your SyncApps account will land you the SyncApps Dashboard. Head to Set Ups and Once you’ve selected the Set Ups tab, tap the “Create Set Up” button.
Enter any designated name for your new Set Up as your identifier. Then in Sync Type, select NetSuite and Mailchimp.
Step 1: NetSuite
Enter your NetSuite account credentials using (TBA) Token-Based Authentication, please see the article below on how to do it:
Gather your information such as your Account ID, Username, Password, and Application ID, if using the "Username and Password" Authentication type, which we also support.
You can use a NetSuite Sandbox, which is really just a test account type that replicates your live NetSuite account. It uses testing records that will not affect your live or production records when syncing. If you are testing records or requirements and want your production records to remain unaltered, enable this option.
Select the "Records to Sync", options are All Contacts, Specific NetSuite Saved Searches, Specific NetSuite Contact Subscriptions, and Specific NetSuite Customer Subscriptions.
You can only use 1 "Records to Sync" per Set Up. For example, if you select "All Contacts" as the "Records to Sync", then all the Contact type records in your NetSuite database will be synced to and from Mailchimp.
When doing some testing on how it works, the best way is to create a Contact or Customer Saved Search to limit the number of records that will be syncing to your Mailchimp Audience. At the same time, each Saved Search will be created into Groups or Tags under the "My Groups" Group Category that will be created by SyncApps.
Unsubscribe opted-out Customers or Contacts in NetSuite from Mailchimp
- A record is considered to be opted out if its Global Subscription Status is either Soft Opt-Out or Confirmed Opt-Out.
- If this option is not checked then opted-out Customers or Contacts are simply ignored (not synced to Mailchimp).
- If this option is checked then in Mailchimp every record will be marked as Unsubscribed who is currently Soft-Opt Out in NetSuite on their Global Subscription Status. And each record will be removed from all Mailchimp lists.
Sync deleted Contacts or Customers in NetSuite to Mailchimp
- If Customer or Contact is deleted, SyncApps will remove the email address from Mailchimp Main Audience. This feature will only take effect If using “All Contacts” under “Records to Sync” is selected.
Sync Email Marketing Data
- If this option is checked, email marketing data (opens, clicks, and links clicked metrics) will be synced to a Custom Record in NetSuite.
- The custom record will be created automatically by SyncApps and capture data for 30 days after a campaign is initiated. If you need more than 30 days of data we have an Add-On for 90 days, 180 days, and Unlimited data. Please reach out to your support rep to find out more.
- Email Marketing Campaign metrics land on the custom subtab on the NetSuite Customer and/or Contact record. The NetSuite custom subtab name can be changed to meet your needs in NetSuite.
- By default SyncApps only correlate Contacts or Customers that have been synced before (found in the SyncApps cache). This means we remember the email address. Using this option can be enabled to search in NetSuite if a Contact or Customer is not found in the cache.
New Subscriber Object Type
- Please select what NetSuite object type to be created when a new record is created in Mailchimp.
Always create Customer or Lead as Company if Company Name is defined
- By default, SyncApps will create Customers or Leads as individuals if a Full Name is defined. This feature, if enabled, will create a Customer or Lead as Company even if a Full Name is present as long as the Company Name is also defined.
Replace UTF-16 characters with blank
- Emojis and other special characters with UTF-16 encoding are not supported by the NetSuite API. Enabling this feature will replace those characters with a blank space during sync to avoid errors.
Use Email Address as Entity ID (Name) for new Contact or Customer
- By default, SyncApps will not set Entity ID and let NetSuite generate the Entity ID.
- This also is dependent on the NetSuite setting as it can be an auto-generated number or First Name + Last Name for Contact Name and Company Name as Customer Name.
- If this option is checked SyncApps will use an email address instead.
Default Subsidiary (for NetSuite OneWorld user only)
- For NetSuite OneWorld users please enter the default subsidiary name for new Customer or Contact created by SyncApps, otherwise, Customer or Contact creation will fail.
- In some cases, a subscriber will create a Set Up for each NetSuite Subsidiary that they want to integrate. To make sure that each Set Up syncs with its assigned Subsidiary please be sure to only use a NetSuite role with NetSuite Subsidiary access and also create a separate NetSuite role for reaching NetSuite Subsidiaries assigned.
Mass Update Credentials
- Using NetSuite Saved Searches in one integration, NetSuite Subscriptions in another, Step 5 Filtering in yet another? This feature allows you to mass update your TBA credentials to those various NetSuite integrations to save you time.
After you have set the configuration in Step 1, hit the next button.
Step 2: Mailchimp
Connect your Mailchimp account in this step by tapping the “Connect” button. You will then be directed to the oAuth page that’ll log in to Mailchimp. Enter your Mailchimp credentials here.
Generate a new API Key, copy then paste it in the API key box in Step 2 of the Set Up.
To obtain a Mailchimp API key please log into Mailchimp, press the Top Menu: Account > Extras > Your API Keys. Create a new API Key or copy an existing API Key into SyncApps.
After which, enter the name of your Main Audience Now, what is the Main Audience, and why do we need to define it in Step 2?
A Mailchimp Audience can be selected from the dropdown of available Mailchimp Audiences.
If you would like to sync to a different Audience in Mailchimp, you'll need to set up another Set Up for that use case.
Need to use Multiple Group Categories on a Mailchimp Audience? Check it here
- A NetSuite Saved Search, Subscription must be selected in Step 1 in order to be used in this setting.
- To change which NetSuite Saved Search, Subscription should map to, please check the checkbox after the Mailchimp Group Category name.
- Next, enter the Mailchimp Group Category you want to use to sync from the NetSuite Saved Search or Subscription.
For more options, tap “More Options”. If you want to learn more about the features, hover over to the SyncNotes tooltips (i).
Don't want to Sync new Mailchimp Subscribers to NetSuite? Select this feature
- If using multiple Set Ups, which use the same “Main Audience” then out of those Set Ups, set all but 1 Set Up as One-Way Sync so that it will minimize API Calls.
- This also means SyncApps will only sync unsubscribe data thru one Set Up which is not a One-Way Sync for efficiency since all the integrations are utilizing one Main Audience. Check out this article here: I have multiple Set Ups or integrations using the same Main List or Audience
- Automatically creates Mailchimp Groups or Tags into your Mailchimp Audience from NetSuite Saved Searches and Subscriptions.
- Auto creates Mailchimp Groups into your Mailchimp Audience from your NetSuite Saved Searches and Subscriptions used in Step 1 of your Set Up.
Group Category to Use
- This field is optional. For the List Sync feature, each NetSuite Saved Search or Subscription is synced to a Mailchimp Group.
- By default, SyncApps will use the "My Groups" Group category with Hidden type (not displayed in Mailchimp form). You can override the category of the Group by putting in a different Group category.
- To display Groups in the Mailchimp signup form please create new Groups with checkboxes type and specify the Group category in this field.
Enable Double Opt-In
- If double opt-in is enabled, a confirmation email will be sent by Mailchimp to subscribers to ask their permissions to be added to the list.
Don't want to sync unsubscribed status to NetSuite when they unsubscribe in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- By default, SyncApps will set opted-out status in NetSuite for unsubscribed emails to Soft Opt-Out. Please check this checkbox if you do not want unsubscribed emails to be synced.
Want to remove records from your Mailchimp Audience when they no longer meet the segmentation criteria in Step 1 or Step 5 (Filtering and Segmentation) of the Set Up? Select this feature
- If using the Add-On for Full Sync then this feature will delete the record(s) from the Mailchimp Audience each time a Full Sync is run in your integration.
- Check out here how the Add-On for the Full Sync works.
- Once the record is deleted in Mailchimp via the Full Sync feature or removed in CRM via Remove opted-out Contacts, Leads, or Accounts in NetSuite from Mailchimp, please select which deletion method in Mailchimp you would like to use.
- Archive, Once the record is deleted, it will be placed in the Archives but the activity data will still be in your Campaign Reports in Mailchimp. You can also re-add them later on via the Mailchimp Resubscribe form.
- Permanently Delete. This will Permanently delete the record Mailchimp including the data inside the record. Once deleted, you cannot add them back to that Audience.
Need to update NetSuite when subscribers update their Profiles in Mailchimp? Select this feature
- This feature, if selected, will use the mapping configuration in Step 4 of your Set Up to update records in NetSuite. Please make sure you configure the mapping correctly.
- A Mailchimp webhook will be enabled in the Mailchimp Audience named in Step 2 of your Set Up if this option is enabled.
- Please note that webhooks run independently of your integration when any data is modified on the Mailchimp side. What this means is that one set up in SyncApps anytime, regardless of your Sync Schedule, a Mailchimp subscriber updates their record it will sync back to NetSuite provided the fields are mapped in Step 4.
Resubscribe archived records
- By default, when a Contact or Customer, that was synced by SyncApps is then Archived in Mailchimp, on the next sync, that record will no longer be updated in Mailchimp.
- If you want them to be resubscribed and unarchive them in Mailchimp automatically so that they will be updated on the next sync, please enable this feature.
Sync eCommerce Data
- This feature is key to sync all NetSuite eCommerce data to your Mailchimp individual records purchased from your SuiteCommerce Store.
- Please note that the first sync may take a longer time than usual due to integrating all NetSuite Sales Orders, Products, and Customers from NetSuite to Mailchimp to analyze eCommerce metrics.
Check out this article here: Sync eCommerce Data from NetSuite to Mailchimp
After you have set the configuration in Step 2, hit the next button.
Step 3: Sync Add-Ons
Sync Add-Ons are optional. Available Add-Ons in Step 3 of the Set Up may depend on which Plan and integration you select.
Check out this video on How Add-Ons work:
Step 4: Field Mapping
Field Mapping is optional. Basic fields such as Email Address, Name, Title, Address, Company Name, and Phone are already pre-mapped even if you haven’t enabled this step. If you have additional fields to map, then you’ll have to set these fields up here.
Check out this video on How Field Mapping Works:
Step 5: Filtering and Segmentation
This step is one of the most powerful features ever used by most of our subscribers. For example, you have thousands of records in NetSuite then you only want to pull out the records with specific criteria, only these records will be synced to your Mailchimp Main Audience.
SyncApps recommendation: This feature works the same with the NetSuite Saved Search yet it's better to use the Saved Search feature in Step 1 instead as the Custom Fields available in Step 4 are tied to it. If using the Filtering and Segmentation feature purely then only the standard fields will be available for mapping in Step 4.
Check out this video on How Filtering and Segmentation Works:
Step 6: Sync Scheduling
Finally, the very last step. Just select the time when you would like to sync your data automatically.
Check out this video on How Scheduling Works:
Tap the "Finish" button and then Sync Now. More questions or hit any snags? You can always reach out to our 24/7 Support Team.
Need some help?
Check out the options below on how you can contact our Support Team and find the answers you need to help you with your SyncApps integrations.
Help Center & Email is 24/7 to firstname.lastname@example.org | Live Chat & Phone is scheduled.
Check out these Help Desk articles for answers to frequently asked questions.
Check out our subscriber's story here on how SyncApps helped them save hundreds of hours per year!